1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ran Out of Gas, it DRIVES, all lights still on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by plsdontlecturemee, Feb 21, 2022.

1. plsdontlecturemee

plsdontlecturemee New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello!
    First off, please don't lecture me. I've been reading the threads about running out of gas for three days and if that wasn't enough to teach me a lesson, being stranded on the side of the road at 1am sure was!

So, my 2009 Prius with 190k miles ran out of gas, I (STUPIDLY, I NOW KNOW) pushed it as far as it could go on the battery. Filled it with one gallon from a gas can my friend brought, got it to the gas station (50 feet away at this point), filled it fully. It started fine, and has now been restarted several times and driven about 200 miles since the incident, but the warning lights are still on (BIG triangle with !, check engine, and car with ! on the display). I know the easy answer is to take it to a service center, but I do not like my local place and they're useless if their Prius tech isn't there (and they aren't good about scheduling even if you call in advance).

Point is, people on here know more than anyone at that service center except possibly the godly Prius tech himself. Do you think I need to take it in, or just clear the codes? thank you.

SFO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just clear the codes. start by disconnecting the 12v negative. if that doesn't do it, you'll need a reader.

ColoradoBoo and Dxta like this.
  3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, nothing to fret about just yet....I once sprayed water onto the engine in a Scion and made codes popup and my check engine light came on! (The only check engine light I've ever seen in our Toyota's and we've owned them since 2005.) It had two codes...one for traction control and something else. (Both cleared after I let it dry and disconnected the battery.
    But don't you want to know the codes before you clear? Hop over to your nearest car parts store and they'll read the codes for free.
    FWIW, code readers are super cheap these days...OBDScar OS601 is only $36 on Amazon.

4. plsdontlecturemee

plsdontlecturemee New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey y'all, thank you for your responses. I was going to get around to doing it soon, but this weekend, after about approx 300 miles since original incident, all the warning lights went off of their own accord! :D