1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ran out of Gas, Now Prius won't start...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kraziewilly, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Then you need to read little more about
    Mr. Bob Wilson
    Then you will understand .....

fuzzy1 likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been reading his posts for 10 years.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just because you can think of idiotic ways to do such tests, doesn't mean Bob performed his tests in such a manner. I have seen no indication whatsoever that he performed them in the middle of six dark lanes of Florida maniacs.

The two times I performed my own such tests, I very carefully pre-selected the circumstances, including great daylight weather and extremely sparse rural traffic. There was no drama whatsoever.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome control there knowing when the car will run out of gas so you can plan where to stop and not inconvenience anyone or be forced to park at a dangerous spot.

It's idiotic to think you can determine how far the car can go at any position of the gas gauge on a g2 as we all know how inaccurate it is. It gives false hope to people who like to drive around on E with the pip blinking and the buzzer going off......I have 3 more miles...3 more miles.......oh

What did your scientific results yield? Never seen any results. Bob ran his g1 out of gas on purpose 40 times.
    Never saw results there either. 40 times.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I shared those results in the Gen-1 forum. The summary:
    • On Flash - there is about 1.2 gallons remaining. Reset a trip meter and the calculate how much is burned until the car will be empty.
    • There is typically 65-70 miles remaining but it has been as low as 25 miles.
    • The screen of alarms gives about 1/2 to 1 mile of EV range to find a safe place to park.
    • Adding one gallon, the car will start ... do not try more than three attempts as the car sets a flag that has to be reset by a 12V cycle or Techstream
    I've also done about half a dozen Gen-3 fuel outages and one Prius Prime. The Gen-3 has an obscure indication the gas is gone but I've not found one for the Prius Prime.

Bob Wilson

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While most of his tests were before my time here, I seem to remember that many of them primarily concerned comparisons of different fuels. Such comparisons work much better when fuel A is removed as completely as practical before fuel B is loaded. When two distinct fuels are blended together in the tank, results are vastly more difficult to decipher and interpret.
    I don't remember Bob ever mention any of his testing on a Gen2.

I think it's idiotic to just throw my hands up and unquestioningly tolerate the 2+ hour initial uncertainty in fuel range on my various cars, when commercial airline pilots commonly operate with significantly narrower margins, despite having vastly more valuable cargoes and less forgiving circumstances. But I don't expect youngsters who didn't experience the 1970s energy crisis / fuel shortages to understand my previously posted reasons for wanting to better refine fuel range.

Don't take my replies as a defense of drivers who repeatedly unintentionally run out of fuel. I will defend at most one unintentional event per ownership life per car.

7. Paulcam

Paulcam New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks galaxee! I have a hybrid Lexus RX450H which ran out of gas and would not get the ready light even after adding 2.5 gallons of gas. Then after reading all the comments on the internet which suggested repairs costing anywhere from $100 to $3000 to get back on the road I came across your post. You mentioned 3 gallons so I added another gallon and it started fine. No problem! You saved me a bunch money and time. Here is the interesting thing. I called Lexus road side assistance. I told him that I had added 2.5 gallon and he said even one gallon should be enough to get it to start. Lexus roadside assistance ! Figure that!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

that's brutal.