1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ran out of gas: what happened (or my first 500 mile tank)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dhs, Nov 7, 2009.

1. nittanycheeseboy

nittanycheeseboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a strange thread but I have a related question: Is there a known problem with the gas gauge accuracy or something? (I've noticed on my very first tank of gas that it went from 10 bars to 9, then back to 10 at one point...then to 9 and down to 8 and back to 9 again...). What's up with this?

2. sdleo726

sdleo726 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the walk of shame :banplease:

3. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This did not happen on my Gen II (or I did not see it) but I have noted this several times on the Gen III. I have no idea why. These fluctuations just reinforce the need to get gas in a timely manner rather than pushing it and going dry.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is normal fuel gauge behavior on many cars.

All my pre-hybrid cars with analog needles did it, especially when changing slope angle (uphill / downhill). The Prius just displays the digital equivalent of that behavior.

5. Charlie Lear

Charlie Lear Newbie Evangelist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to tap the gauge with your index finger to get an accurate reading, like in Top Gun.

6. Acre

Acre New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lots of threads on this board about the guess gauge. Mine responds to temperature - I can gain a blip as the car warms up. I need to go about 100 miles to loose the first blip, then it falls rapidly. At three blips, which is where I've been filling up, I would seem to have somewhat more gas then indicated as it always takes about 7 gallons at that point.

7. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

try picking up women in a Florida bar.

they love tans down there

8. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So after the last bar started flashing you went around 100 miles further before the ICE stopped? It sounds like when the last bar starts flashing one has a very inaccurate idea of how much gas is left--but you are very safe going 30 miles further before you run out of gas. Would that be a fact?

And here is where I probably really mess up. Were you (anyone) able to continue driving using the tranction battery _only_ until it reaches 2 bars before all action stops?

How close do you (anyone) come to reaching the full tank estimated mile range?

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah how many miles remaining did the computer say you had left when the last bar started flashing? Did it get to 0 and how far did you get before you ran out?

Just curious cos I fuel mine up at 1 bar with about 40 miles remaining.

10. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    you guys are going to be a lot of fun once you get BEVs, I can see it now.... except, you can't just run down to the gas station and get a gallon of gas. You will need a tow :)

1 person likes this.
  11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nah, just take an extension lead with you and knock on some strangers door asking if you could borrow some electric.

Would be a great way of meeting people and you never know, you might get lucky :eek:

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In three, fuel exhaustion tests, ours ran about 2.1 gallons further down the road using the indicated MPG of either of the trip meters. However, one vehicle does not make a hard and fast rule as there will be variations in the meter from car-to-car. However, this includes the unmeasured distance covered by the battery in two tests.

Bob Wilson

13. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the best solution for me is to take a gallon of gas with me, run the car till the ICE stops noting what reads what and when on the gauges. I would say off hand at this point that the computer's 'miles left' estimate is critical to then knowing how many miles I can safely travel based on the rest of the test when the ICE actually stops.

From what I think Bob has said/proven out if you want to play it down to the last drop of gas every Prius needs to test for itself how far it can really go.

Based on what I read in the owner's manual the electronics that measures the actual fuel level (do they use a float or capacitance?) is translated into average miles and mentions that if a small amount of fuel is added it may not change the miles estimate any.

I may as well start looking for a nice, safe, low profile 1 gallon gas tank that fits neatly into the car. Any ideas? Cautions? No doubt it will be made of some sort of plastic and made in China too?

14. BlizzardJ

BlizzardJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How about reserve petcocks for the Prius? :p

15. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have only run about 5 tanks through our 2010 Prius and have refueled at 2 pips each time. I have yet to see the flashing low fuel indicator. My refills have been slightly under 9 gallons. Based on this account (11.7 gallons useable fuel) and others, do guys think it is reasonable for me to assume that I have at least 2.5 gallons of useable fuel in the tank at two pips? I don't normally push this close to the edge, but it is good to know where the edge is if it is ever necessary.

16. justaguy

justaguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeah i have 4 pips left. so I will refill at 2 pips

17. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same exactly here
    With two pips left i have between 2.5 and 3 gallons or 9.5-12 liters left depending how lond a drove with two pips.
    :););)

18. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How am I doing..? :D Just spotted the gas gauge bars go from 5 to 4 and the estimated miles left said 235 miles.... I think I will keep editing and averaging my results here:

4 pips -> 235 miles
    3 pips -> 178 miles
    2 pips -> 118 miles

19. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

+1, I agree, don't let it get below 2 bars

20. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In my case, I ran the tank down to the flasher and when I filled up calculated that there was almost 2.5 gallons left.

Your tank may vary, and I side with those who recommend keeping the tank above 2 pips, although I wish the sensor were more accurate and the tank bigger (so that I could fill up less often). Fortunately the fill-ups are faster than my old car...