1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ran Out of Gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jendbbay, Jan 5, 2007.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't heard of any change in the 2007 but in the 2006 model there is 1 beep when the "guess gauge" starts flashing its last pip which can be startling. I haven't been able to put anything close to 11 gallons in the tank. The gas actually fills a bladder contained in an 11.9 gallon tank. I reset the MFD when I get gas so I know how many miles and estimated mpg I have on the tank and figure 10 usable gallons. The pips can decrease quickly at any time and at the end can cause some anxious times but I haven't been stuck. On my commute I shop at 2 pips so I know where I want to stop when it reaches 1. I've read a lot of posts and it seems one really has to go out of one's way to damage the car. As was previously mentioned if running out of gas caused major damage we would have heard about it by now.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jan 5 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]371503[/snapback]</div>
    Some of the symptoms of HV battery failure are discussed in the following thread:

Battery display bounces like a rubber ball!

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if it drives ok now chances are it's fine. the worry here, and i have yet to hear of it happening but theoretically it may be possible, is what presto described above with the scenario or a driver trying and trying and trying again to start the damn thing until some damage may be done.

so i just caution against driving without gas unless you're prepared to fly the toyota regional rep to your area with the HV charger. on your dime, not toyota's.

so far the only reports of replacement needed from driving whilst out of gas are from the first gen prius.

4. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I just went out to see what my HV battery does when I turn on the car, sit there in the driveway, with all type and manner of battery draining accessories turned on. When I firstpowered up the car, the battery had 7 bars. It dropped to six fairly quickly after turning on all these things, and then much more slowly it dropped to 5 and maybe to 4 and then the engine came on. Slowly it gained another bar or two and then the engine kicked off, and so on. It never hit rock bottom and it never bounced rapidly. So this is encouraging, I hope.

I appreciate your sending me the link to this thread, which I read. The bouncing battery charge levels seem not to be my problem, at least not so far as I can tell from sitting in the driveway and not from this morning's drive in 35 degree weather for about 10 minutes to the Farmers market and then 10 minutes home.

The only sort of wierd thing was just that the battery was fully charged at 7 bars when I got in the car this morning, and I really never saw it discharge. It just kept that level. The engine turned on and off as normal, for a cold morning and a short distance.

I'm hopeful at this point that we escaped serious damage, though it really sounds like my husband did more wrong than was done by the person in the linked to thread.

Thanks for your help!

5. Porridge

Porridge New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jan 7 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]371958[/snapback]</div>
    Your Prius will have stored error codes indicating you ran out of gas. Search this forum on getting to the service menu on your MFD and clear the error codes before you take it in next time.

6. mootsman

mootsman New Member

Paging Dr. Phil.......come in......crackle crackle.

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, so maybe i'm a bit of an alarmist. Maybe it takes some real work to break the battery, but I still say, don't run out of gas in the first place :D

The car does a fine job of regulating battery state-of-charge when you have gas, but it can't keep the balance when there's no gas because it uses the ICE, i.e. gas, to maintain charge!

You may not break it if you run out once and continue to drive to safety (certainly your life is worth more than your car), but it's still probably a better idea to preempt such situations by filling the tank just a little earlier.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The diagnostic "codes" one can sometimes get from the MFD have
    nothing to do with the hybrid or engine systems. You need a
    proper scantool.
    _H*

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jan 5 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]371403[/snapback]</div>
    The most I ever got out of a tank of gas was when I ran out. I added one gallon about 3 miles from the station and an addition 9.5 gallons at the station. So for me, it was too empty to run with supposedly over a gallon left in the tank. I was on an uphill incline at the time though. Total distance to fill up was 525 miles.

Dave M.

10. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Surely, you can't think that I am advocating not filling the tank? This was an accident. Albeit a stupid one, but it was an accident, and I didn't actually do it. I am merely married to the guy who did. But I bet he won't make this mistake again! The car is new, has so many unfamiliar aspects to it, and he drives different distances each day, and has no set routine. All of these newnesses promote a bit of disorientation.

Neither he nor I am actually attempting to recommend that people go around running out of gas and then driving around on the HV battery. Rather, we are really worried about what damage may have been done, and therefore are curious about that. It is amazing to me that people are actually recommending that we not adopt this as a life style.

Rest assured that this is not something we EVER want to repeat.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Porridge @ Jan 7 2007, 06:11 AM) [snapback]372009[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, thanks! Will do!

11. member

member New Member

I didn't read all the posts on this thread (sorry for any duplication) but the manual specifically states to avoid running out of gas or severe damage to the system can result.

Not sure what kind of damage, but at least I read the car's manual when I got it. Remarkable!

12. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Jan 7 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]372349[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know myself. However, a friend who has taught an autoshop class told me that there could be damage to the fuel injection system (probably dried out seals, or whatever), if you ran out. I don't know about the Prius.

Dave M.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Jan 7 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]372349[/snapback]</div>
    Charles Suitt will be proud of you.

P.S. The OP's husband did not intentionally run out of gas.

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jan 5 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]371591[/snapback]</div>
    Uh huh...was thinking about this this weekend...NO WAY would our fair Prii hold 40mph up either side of the climb to the summit of 17...and certainly not for a mile or two!

I *really* don't see how anyone could *ever* think the OP is advocating running the car 'till empty...if that's ever even a question to begin with...

I think, with conventional cars, the fuel is used to lubricate the fuel pump, especially on fuel injected cars where you need lots of pressure. I think this applies more to electric fuel pumps submerged in the tank than mechanical ones attached to the engine, though. On the Prius? I honestly don't know.

Generally speaking, the more complex the car, the more I'd be careful to NOT run it out of gas.

15. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I know that the distance that the evil one drove the car on battery alone was about 1.5 miles. This switching to pure battery happened at the actual summit or a bit on the Los Gatos side of it. By that I mean he had just reached the Summit sign, not the sign for Summit road. He then proceeded until he got to the restaurant. About half of that distance was downhill. I'm sorry if I led people to believe that it was all uphill. Even the uphill portion is not very steep, certainly not like the rest of 17. The worst of it all is that the HV Battery was showing only one band and that band had turned PURPLE -- a frightening thing to behold.

When I said the thing about this being an accident, I admit that sounded dumb. What I meant was, we are not the people that people seem to be lecturing who drive as far as they possibly can on a tank. We are not that way by nature and are not promoting that or wanting to be like that. We normally fill at 300 plus miles. He was just negtiating for a new job, at a new location, driving there on a day other than his normal day for that job, and just generally distracted from so many changes. He works several jobs, by the way, and gets into habitual gas fillings based on the lengths of the drives to these various jobs. He is not a detail person in the way that I can see all of you are. Rather, he gets into ruts, and these ruts cause him to habitually do the same thing at what he thinks of to be the same time. This can cause problems.

I am completely in accord that one should not run these babies off the end of the gas engine. He is 51 years old and this was the first time he has ever run out of gas.

It really doesn't sound good for us, given the more recent posts on this. I'm just crossing my fingers at this point, as there doesn't seem to be anything else to do.

Jen

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jan 8 2007, 07:25 PM) [snapback]372780[/snapback]</div>
    Jen...!!!

The evil one...??????
    [laughing]

17. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jan 8 2007, 04:25 PM) [snapback]372780[/snapback]</div>
    Not to worry. Going downhill he was charging, not draining, the high voltage battery. I am positive that there will be no long lasting damage.

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jan 7 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]372326[/snapback]</div>
    i just wanna reinforce this point... i do not know how many times i've corrected that misconception only to be told that no, i'm wrong...

19. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jan 8 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]372735[/snapback]</div>
    How often do people intentionally run out of gas?

I'd be willing to bet that knowing damage could result would have been a significant reminder to keep fuel in the thank.

20. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Jan 8 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]372886[/snapback]</div>
    You must be a relatively new member. You'd be surprised how many Prius Chat members did so in the interest of determining just how far the car could go on a single tank of gas or how far they could drive after the last bar started flashing, etc.