1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ran Over a Concrete Parking Block!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ElectricCarFan, May 5, 2017.

1. ElectricCarFan

ElectricCarFan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This evening I accidently ran over a concrete parking block. I pulled up and parked at a parking spot like always. And then for some reason when I came back to the car I got in and instead of putting it into reverse I put it in drive and drove right over the block. I guess I was thinking that I could just pull-through the parking spot. I completely forgot that the concrete parking block was there (it was dark).

As soon as I realized that I had gone over the block, I put it into reverse and went back over it (in order to get out of the situation). I was pretty sure driving forward (so the back wheels would've gone over it) would have made it worse. I immediately checked underneath the car but since it was night I couldn't spot anything. I had noticed that the underbody plastic shielding was of course loose (but not hanging off or anything). Also, it’s scraped up a decent bit.

When I got in the car and changed into drive (to leave) I had my music going, so I couldn't hear anything scrape. Although, of course I'm sure it did. Once I got home I crouched under the car and inspected the bumper, rocker panels, and etc. The bumper, rocker panels, and everything I can see looks fine. But, the shield is scraped up and all that. I couldn't spot any fluids dripping although it’s been raining and so it’s been wet outside and all. So I don't know if I could spot any. There were not any visible dripping or streams leaking from under the car when I crouched down to look with a flashlight.

But, I'm worried about it if the Transmission and or Oil pan might've been hit. I certainly hope not. :(

On the way home I drove with the radio and Climate Control off so as to be able to hear any and all sounds. I heard nothing out of the ordinary. I even gave it a good acceleration, just to run the ICE. Nothing different happened or sounded different thank goodness.

Would either the transmission, oil pan, or anything like that be likely affected by going over one of those concrete parking space blocks? Would they be in the path of a block like this? I really don't have the money to take it to a Toyota dealership? I doubt they would inspect it for free. This is something I don't normally do. I just probably didn't see the block since it was dark. I never go over parking blocks, hit curbs, or anything of the sort.

Is this something that happens to people? Is it something that the Prius can handle or is it a big deal? I don't know too much about the clearance of the Prius. The blocks don't look too tall. But I don't know.

Here is a picture of them. I was in the 3rd parking spot from the building on the right side (in the center spaces).

Capture2.JPG Capture1.JPG Capture3.JPG

2. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Not dragging the whole car over the parking stop was wise -- that could have pulled the exhaust. I don't think you did any damage -- the area behind the front wheels is a strong point. The only concern would be if you dislodged any of the plastic clips allowing the underbody plastic to come off at speed.

I woud give another look when light and dry and things can be seen -- check the oil level. If you have any concern -- A good dealer would give this a look for free. When is the next oil change?

Montgomery and ElectricCarFan like this.
  3. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm not due for my next oil change until 192K Miles and I'm about to tick over 186K Miles.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can take that front plastic underpanel off without even raising the car; it's mainly 10 mm socket size bolts/screws, and one plastic fastener at centre. I've repaired ours with some two part epoxy, reinforced with Fiberglas mesh. You can find the part on Amazon, around $140 US IIRC.

Montgomery and ElectricCarFan like this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Should be ok. I've ripped my plastic shield on a grate (it was a large grate at the bottom of a steep ramp. It must've caught it when the front suspension compressed as the car reached the bottom). I think there's enough clearance between the shield and other components (it's been a while since I've removed it when I installed the foglights so my memory is a bit fuzzy).

ElectricCarFan likes this.
  6. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well that makes me feel a little bit better. I was really just worried that perhaps the hybrid Transaxle or there could be an oil leak or something. I don't know that they even were affected, I was just being me and worrying about it. Lol. I can't afford anything going wrong on it right now.

I remember denting my 1994 Dodge Shadow's pan gasket when I once slid into a ditch. So it brought back memories of that. That had a horizontal pan that was only so far above the ground.

7. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The way the engine is positioned it sits up and tilted back -- so ..it's not as exposed. It's always wise to give a good look and check things out ..... I had a coolant tank fail after a parking lot bump -- the tank was on the other side of the car.

8. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I went back and measured the parking block and it was about 5 inches or so in height. When I looked at the clearance of my Prius (just from eyeballing it) the underside appears taller than 5 inches, more like 7-9 inches. I'm confident that it cleared most of the underside but not the section between the wheels or there-about. I can clearly see the plastic shielding is scraped and warped a little. I can't see underneath it too well though despite it being daytime. I drove it 10 miles today and listened for noises. I heard nothing out of the ordinary. I also felt nothing unusual. I looked for fluids on the ground when I left in the morning, and nothing was there. Also, when I got out of work 8 hours later today nothing was there.

I think I'm going to have my local Toyota dealer take a look at it though, just to be safe.

I called and they told me it should be free to visually inspect it, as long as they were only looking around (or replacing clips that broke, and etc).

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. As long as you don't see any liquids underneath the car, you should be ok. You can always have the technicians check under the car at the next oil change (since they'll be under there anyway) if you're concerned.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your best bet is to DIY, if it's just the plastic involved. Again: in order to get the front plastic piece off, there's no need to raise the car; you only need to get down there with a 10 mm socket wrench, and maybe a screw driver or pry tool for the plastic fastener.

What more'n likely happened: the car will push up and over wheel stops very easily. But coming back off, it catches, and can tear, abrade. A few pics of my repair:

upload_2017-5-6_13-6-41.png
    upload_2017-5-6_13-7-12.png
    upload_2017-5-6_13-7-48.png upload_2017-5-6_13-8-16.png
    upload_2017-5-6_13-8-56.png

If it's beyond hope, this is the part:

upload_2017-5-6_13-14-8.png

#10 Mendel Leisk, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  11. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did exactly the same. My gas station guy, who does a lot of my service, used some ties and "chewing gum" to tie the hanging pieces back in place. Cosmetic only.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing: OP says the entire front wheels went over this curb.

13. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, that's correct. Both front wheels drove over the parking block in the same way that you'd drive over a speed bump (head on). I drove over the parking block (and then immediately realized what I'd done, shifted it into reverse and backed over it.

It hopped back over the block and I proceeded to drive on home. I nervously listened to see if I might hear any weird sounds. Like I said, there weren't any out of the ordinary sounds.

Its was scary.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you run over something like that, you don't want to blindly reverse either, though. You want to stop right where it is, get out and look to see what the clearance is. If you need more clearance, get the jack out, jack up the car and stuff the spare tire upside down under one wheel to get a little more clearance, at least on one side.

15. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well, that would've been ideal I do agree. The thing is that it was 9pm-9:30pm at night, I was leaving church, and it all happened so suddenly. I don't keep a jack with me, no one else was there in the parking lot at that hour.

I also don't lug around a spare tire in the back of the car either (or keep tools and etc with me). I had to figure out something to get out of that situation. So I put it in reverse and tried to minimize the damage. The whole situation played out in less than a minute. It was an "oh crap what the heck happened" kind of moment.

#15 ElectricCarFan, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  16. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Haha, ok scratch that last post I made about not having tools and a spare tire in the car. I actually just looked underneath the trunk carpet and wouldn't you know it, I guess I do have one. Lol.

I guess I just assumed the previous owner used it and or removed it. I hadn't thought to look underneath the black plastic tray. There's a tool or two there, and some kind of jack, with the spar tire at that! Wow. It looks stock. I actually didn't know cars still came with spares. I would have thought Toyota would've removed them by now to save weight and MPG.

But, I guess now I know. This car has been so good to me all this time I hadn't needed to think of stuff like that. It just drives and runs perfect.

186,000+ miles and counting. I guess you learn something new everyday.
    20170508_151409_HDR.jpg 20170508_151433_HDR.jpg

#16 ElectricCarFan, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One man's ceiling is another man's hatch floor. (y)

Raytheeagle and ElectricCarFan like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You should check the pressure on it. That requires pulling it out, good to do; you can also check for water incursion.

19. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'll definitely do that. It looks pretty dry down in there, but having it out will allow me a better look.

Its funny, my 2014 Nissan Leaf (I just turned in) only came with a small hidden compartment off to the left side of the trunk's wall. There Nissan put a 12V air compressor and a can of Fix-a-Flat. They didn't bother to include a spare tire. That's why I was surprised to see all this.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For 2016 Toyota has started to remove the spare tire.