1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Random Panic Alarm Issues (2009)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jordan Dischinger-Smedes, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Jordan Dischinger-Smedes

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been having issues with the panic alarm on my 2009 Prius. The panic alarm will randomly go off, seemingly without any heavy vehicle vibration or other disturbances. It happens in the middle of the night, in the middle of the day, parked on the busty street where I live, as well as in the quiet parking lot at work. The only common denominator I can find is that it seems to happen only when the fob is within range (even though the button is obviously not being pressed.) Although this could also be because whenever I'm around to hear it, the key is also within range. I have not had roommates or co workers ever complain that it goes off when I'm not around and the fob is out of range. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the 12v health, and make sure the panic button isn't sticking. do you have a second fob?

3. Jordan Dischinger-Smedes

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I only have the one fob. The button is missing the cover for it, but this has been the case since I bought the car 2 years ago. I'll check the 12v health though, thanks for the recommendation!

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take the battery out of the fob and use mechanical key to get in the car and put fob in hole under steering wheel to drive the car.
    That will tell you it’s the fob which since it has no cover pretty sure it is.

Buy new fob and move your fob guts over to it.

5. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thing to try check out doors make sure the dome lights turning off then remove the bolts on all those sensors and clean the sensor with contact cleaner and clean the bolt with a wire brush any of those not working we'll set off the alarm after the doors locked if it's exactly 12 hours one of them is bad including the hood or hatch mine ended up being the door switch inside the car look at the dome light start randomly playing with the buttons only one of them should affect the dorm light and that is the lock any others make the dome light come on with the car off in the doors locked the switch is bad even if it just flickers
    Next I noticed the door handle overly sensitive they should be the same on both sides that would be the door actuator has two switches inside I'm the one that's more sensitive
    And 12v battery at 12.1v or better

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One more thing to check the key switch unlocked and lock

7. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There a plug going to the rear hatch lock I've seen pictures of corrosion in that plug 6" from the lock on the hatch