1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Random Questions...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hybrid Hobo, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If at all possible, I always refer to my owners manual first, or try to do a search of older posts on here, so I don’t clog this board with dumb questions. But sometimes the info I seek isn’t stated in the owners manual, and oftentimes what I find on here in older posts isn’t precise, or there are so many opinions in a thread that the information is confusing to decipher. So, I’m asking for clarification on a few topics…

I’m hoping @PriusCamper can also share his thoughts, as he uses his vehicle for camping, just as I will be, and has been an amazing help to me thus far ;)

*As I’ll be using my Prius for extended camping trips (and living out of the vehicle) for a month or two at a time, the Prius’ climate control is of paramount importance to me. More so the A/C during the summer months. On a traditional car, the A/C will not reach maximum cooling capacity unless it is actually driven for 5 or 10 minutes first. We’ve all experienced leaving a car in park with the A/C blowing on max, yet it doesn’t cool the cabin down. During very hot weather - 80 and higher with lots of humidity - does the same hold true for a Prius? For example, if I’ve been parked at a campground all day, and turn on the Prius’ climate control to 65 degrees (which I believe is the lowest setting) before going to sleep, will it be effective at cooling the cabin down, or will it need to be driven first for best/coldest performance?

*I’ve read posts saying it’s bad for the Prius’ key fob to be left inside the vehicle for long stretches (overnight, multiple days, etc.). It can deplete the key fob battery quicker. Might even have adverse effects on the starter battery (though not sure how true this is). So, if this is all factual, any ideas on where to securely store my key fob while camping to prevent any of these issues? I know there’s a way to turn off SKS (I believe it’s called) under the wheel column, but I’d rather not have to do this if there are other options available.

*Not having a dedicated PARK setting on a vehicle shifter is taking some getting used to. Surprisingly, don’t think I’ve messed anything up…yet. However, I believe I once powered the vehicle off while it was still in drive after I parked, and upon starting it again, there were no problems. I’m assuming the Prius should be placed in PARK before being turned off (which I’d opt for anyway due to my OCD), but are there any ramifications to not doing so?

Appreciate your input (y)

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A/C will run on the hybrid battery and peridically turn the engine on to recharge battery... If you want to upgrade AC function after you've had it serviced and put in a new cabin air filter then buying a projectlithium battery pack is your best bet, but expensive. When I camp I don't leave my car on overnight, just turn it on periodically for heating or cooling depending on the time of year.

Hybrid Hobo and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    65º is really cold. :eek: Anyway, as @PriusCamper said, the A/C should be fine. It'll run off the traction battery and the ICE will start up whenever the traction battery needs some more electrons fed into it. The colder you set it, the more often that'll happen and the more gas you'll burn.

Yeah, you might have to change the fob battery once a year instead of every other year. That battery takes about 30 seconds to change and costs $6 for a ten-pack on Amazon.

You mean the 12V auxiliary battery? That is not the starter battery and, in fact, the Prius doesn't have a starter. The 12V gets charged by the traction battery any time the car is in READY. If you leave the fob in the car, shut it off, ignore the beeps, and walk away, that'll increase the drain on the 12V, but not when it's in READY.

But it does have a dedicated PARK setting. It's the big. ol' "P" button. That activates a little motor that moves a pawl that keeps the car from moving. Go to 24:24 in this video. Shutting off the car also engages the little motor and puts it in park. It's a good idea to use the park button so that if you don't turn off the car right away, you won't have to worry about it rolling away. But it's perfectly fine to just stop the car and turn it off. The next video shows the motor that Professor Kelly mentions.

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On a conventional car, driving helps increase A/C function in two ways. First, keeping the engine RPMs higher increases compressor RPMs and therefore it can pump more refrigerant. Second, driving increases airflow through the condenser, which improves cooling. (higher RPM also increases charging system output, so electric fans can work at full speed- sometimes voltage can drop at idle when electric demand is high).

The Prius A/C system is powered by the HV battery (both the compressor and the DC-DC converter that supplies 12V). So the ICE is only run to charge the HV battery as needed. The radiator - condenser fans work reasonably well, so there isn't much "improvement" in cooling by driving the car.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jerry, my apologies...I should've been more clear. I was aware of the dedicated PARK button, and have been using it religiously (except for the one time I mentioned in my post). What I ultimately meant was, the lack of a dedicated PARK setting on a conventional gear/stick shifter. Putting the vehicle in park via a button is akin to space-age technology for this old hound :LOL: Good to know that if I ever forget to engage it again before shutting the Prius it won't suffer any ill effects. As for the key fob...

Since I'll be living in the vehicle for longer stretches on camping trips, changing the battery every year (as opposed to every two) is a small bullet I'll have to bite, as there's really no way to leave it out of/away from the car since it'll effectively be my home on wheels.

Yes, 65 is indeed cold, but I am EXTREMELY warm-blooded, and sweat at the drop of the hat. It ain't pretty...especially in northeast summers! Heck, I even crack the windows of my house during much of the winter. I purchased the Prius mainly for the climate control advantages when camping, as I don't DO heat and/or humidity lol.

P.S. - Does the fob just go dead, or are there any warning lights that appear on the vehicle dash, or the fob itself, to alert me ahead of time that it needs to be replaced?

@mr_guy_mann That was VERY helpful info, makes better sense to me now. Nice that I won't have to drive the Prius to cool it down after turning on the A/C in the summer. BTW, I'm in NJ, too...Bergen County (y)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should get a 'key fob low' message. then, when it goes dead, it will still start the car by plugging it in to the dash

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2007 manual says this about a low fob battery:
    I think there's an indicator light in the gen 2. Newer generations have a message.

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Set the thermostat at the temperature you want it to be, it will get there and equilibrate soon enough, this is not an advanced process temperature controller rather it’s just off/on control. Lower temp at start of cycle will knock the humidity down but 65° is horrible IMO. Drive no a beer while you’re waiting.
    I prefer 72°F but YMMV.