1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

range for new Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by kojack, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I know there are a lot of downhills mixed. ;)

I would expect the real efficiency and range to be around 4.3 mi/kWh and 47 mi if you are driving gently and slowly. ;)

#21 Gokhan, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No pissed off customers complaining about not getting the window sticker, and the accompanying publicity.

3. McCarthy

McCarthy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

So you are implying he tows his car up the hills just to coast down and manipulate his results, for over 2k miles?

You make little sense at times.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, to let the cat out of the bag. It is not that hard. I don't have to tow the car. It is a PHEV. It comes with its own engine that runs on gas without using any charge from the traction battery. But... the Guess-O-Meter on the Ford Escape PHEV turned out to be far more optimistic than what I got on my previous car Prius Prime.

It is more appropriately called Hope-O-Meter. For the winter, this car is programmed to start the engine every time the temperature is below 32F. So, I had to do a lot of engine-on hybrid mode drive the last three months after I got the car, even though the trips were often short enough to be able to complete all in EV mode. Since the current rate of our electricity and gas price favors HV mode for the cost, I tried not to use the EV mode under huge loads, such as steep uphill, short distance trips on a very cold day, stop-and-go traffic, etc. I did a similar thing when I was driving my PP, but could never get the EV efficiency number as high as the Escape was showing. So, yeah, it is inflated somewhat, but under my driving condition, it can achieve 50 miles or more of EV range without too much effort.

hill, Louis19, mikey_t and 1 other person like this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Make little sense? I thought this was pretty obvious. How about using the ICE uphill and the battery downhill? For example, if his job is downhill, he can go BEV to work and come back home HV. Or he can selectively turn off BEV uphill.

6. mrlarrys

mrlarrys Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    On a recent mostly highway trip - my gen 5 prius LE
    netted a real 55 mpg on its second tank full - eco mode, first original fill up from the dealer got around 47 mpg - on third fill up now, so we will see if it gets better

hill, Danny, Tideland Prius and 3 others like this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You're far off from my 75 mpg on my Gen 4 Prius Prime. LOL

8. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What sort of speed you were keeping on the highway?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not bad. We get 52-53mpg on a Gen 4 with 17” rims at 70mph. Assuming you’re doing similar speeds, that’s impressive. More power, less aerodynamic yet still better mpg.

mikey_t and Gokhan like this.
  10. kojack

kojack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    OP here. I was asking full range with both ev and ICE range combined. I know the previous model could net close to 1000km range when driven conservatively. Will the new one outdo that number?

11. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No.

You might have another 12.5 or so miles on battery. But you have 0.8 less gallons of gas. At around 55 mpg that is 44 less miles on gas.

It would take a big increase in mpg to get more miles and Toyota doesn't claim that.

#31 Tom_06, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  12. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    I really like the name Hope-O-Meter :LOL:

Salamander_King likes this.
  13. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius Prime is a remarkable car and when you talk EV range + gas range it is in a very select class.

I can think on only 3 cars in the world that can approach the Prius Prime in this regard and one of them is now discontinued so that leaves the Prius Prime and the other vehicle in a class by themselves.

If you want to have some fun try and find vehicles that get 35 to 40 miles on EV + at least 50 miles on gas and see how many you can come up with.

(yes certain cars under certain conditions if you cross your fingers just right might approach these numbers in a blue moon but none are rated for that efficiency and can consistently achieve itl.).

mikey_t likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm still not clear on total range. what is it, and are we talking emptying the gas tank, or until the low fuel light comes on? most prius have a fairly large reserve.

our 2013 hycam range is about 600 miles on the highway when the low fuel light comes on

15. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    600 mile range on gas is truly a remarkable feat for a vehicle + you still would have 25 to 35 miles EV left - impressive!

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately, there’s no ev in the hycam, but another gallon or two of gas

17. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I normally run around town on EV only. Every long trip starts with a full tank of gas and a fully charged battery. I've traveled up to 37 miles on battery alone on level ground at freeway speeds. Out of habit I always make sure that I have a full tank of gas before entering areas where a blocked road would have me delayed for many hours. I fill up before entering the Grapevine going south, and always have plenty of gas when I get to the Mexico border.

Only once have I let my gas levels go low enough to trigger the "get fuel now" warning. I traveled over 600 miles on that tank of gas and did not start that leg of the trip with any EV mode. That was from Kettleman City on I-5 to Bonita and then several days of running errands in the greater San Diego area. I deliberately set the car to HEV mode each time I resumed driving so that I'd have reserve range when It finally ran out of gas.

What really impressed me the most was that my wife did not freak out when I told her that I was going to drain the tank. In the past 20 years she has come to trust the Toyota hybrid systems.

18. mrlarrys

mrlarrys Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    highway speed of 72 in a 65

Maxwell61 likes this.
  19. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The XSE and XSE Premium will get you 546.8 miles (880 km) while the SE will get 595 miles (958 km) on its 10.6 gallons (40 L) of gas.

This is using the 39 miles (63 km) of EV range for the XSE and XSE Premium and 44 miles (71 km). Toyota website says these are manufacturer estimates but the specs downloaded says EPA. The specs also says 550 miles (885 km) (XSE, XSE Premium) and 600 miles (966 km) (SE).

edited to show specs and website differences

#39 drash, Apr 7, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023