1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Range till empty

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by laskier, Apr 8, 2012.

1. laskier

laskier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I picked up my pip in SanDiego and drove it to it's new home in Utah. During the 860 mile drive I noticed an issue with the miles till empty indicator. Right after I filled, it showed around 100 miles more than my destination. After driving a number of hours, the indicator showed approx. 60 miles less than my destination. I had to fill 60 miles short of my destination. It took 8.8 gallons to fill. for the whole trip I averaged 43.9 miles per gallon, some of the trip has 80 mph speed limits. Gotta love driving in the west.

My main question here is, did Toyota use the same sensor as in the regular Prius, thereby over estimating the fuel capacity by a gallon (regular Prius holds 1 gallon more fuel)?

Has anybody else observed this behavior?

2. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How many times did you charge your PIP? That will change everything.

3. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think the fuel estimator is using the EPA MPG rating at 50MPG. Since you only averaged about 44MPG, that seems like it might make up for the discrepancy.

4. laskier

laskier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Only 1 charge, which I used up before my first fuel stop. The fuel stop I wrote about was the second one.

Usd - you are probably right. The miles till empty are based on 50 mpg.