1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Range versus speed

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Lee Jay, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tesla's estimate for the Model S90D doing 45mph(lowest speed on the calculator) in 70F is 443 miles. That's 4.92 miles per kWh. Model S | Tesla
    Its EPA efficiency is 100mpge. The Prime's is expected to be 120mpge in EV mode. We can expect it to 20% further than the S90D per kWh. Which would mean a little less 52 miles on 8.8kWh.
    There has been no change to the actual test cycles. The big change was on the start speed for coast down test to determine the road load to use for the test. That went up from 50mph to 70mph.

KrPtNk and Lee Jay like this.
  2. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would think the 27 mile round trip commute is possible in the Prime given the conditions described. Not only was the the battery capacity doubled, but the system efficiency was improved. I'm averaging 13 miles in the PiP, and if nothing else was changed except double capacity, I would be achieving 26 miles. Surely the efficiency improvement is good for that extra mile.

I expect many owners to regularly achieve 30 miles.

That might be for the Prius, but other vehicles are much less efficient. Most peak at around 30% efficiency, which is only achieved during high loads where the car is generating 85% of peak torque.

3. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    No.
    30% above EPA - maybe, in a nice summer day and without using A/C.

#23 giora, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I get 68 miles with no starting or stopping and no accessory loads, so this sounds about right to me at that speed when you include the stuff I'm ignoring. Of course, this is with LRR tires fully-inflated and warm (summer). I expect the same trip when it's 10 degrees outside with the heater running will be something like 1/3 as much range.

5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well you don't have 8.8 kWh available. Probably closer to 7, maybe even only 6. If you double the available PiP kWh (~2.6 kWh) then figure out maybe 5.3 kWh as a conservative number and increase towards 7 kWh.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, that's true. However, my question was really about expected range at a nearly steady 40mph versus EPA expected range. Since I get about 25% better mileage on that drive than I do on average in my 2004, it seems reasonable that something similar would happen with the Prime - a significant increase in range compared to an average driving cycle.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My CMax Energi has a 7.6kwh battery with approx. 5.7 usable when new. The most I've seen is 32 miles which was accomplished by slow pulses to 35-40mph and glides in neutral down to 15-20mph without HVAC in nice 70ish degree weather. Lots of fun <sarcasm> In good weather with lite to no HVAC around town, I regularly get 28ish.

Max reports of Volt 1.0 with 10.5 kwh battery is around 70 miles and volt 2.0 with 18.4 kwhr is around 100 miles. Those were accomplished by using a HUGE parking lot at 25mph non-stop.

YMMV

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That car is 88MPGe, I think. The Prime has a bigger battery and 120MPGe.

9. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is pulse and glide really more efficient with an EV too? I figured that method only applied to internal combustion engines.

My guess is maintaining a steady speed in an EV is more efficient than pulsing higher than the average speed you want to travel, and then gliding below that average speed.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, steady is best but finding a route is the challenge. I'm thinking a lightly used section of service roads along an interstate with matching overpass u-turns at each end. Basically a super long, oval track; on a cool, early Sunday morning. (y)

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More specifically, to standard Otto cycle engines. Even Atkinson-cycle and diesel ICEs have significantly less to gain than Ottos.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well keep in mind he is in Denver, 1 mile/1,600m above sea level so there's the pressure and air density (which he stated) to take into account. It's possible he can travel farther than those of us closer to sea level.

Consumer Reports got 28 miles on their early testing. That's impressive but we'll know their "official" numbers once they hold of one and do their standardized instrument testing.

On the European cycle (which is almost the same as the pre-2008 EPA), the number is 50km/31 miles. In Japan, they usually take 70% of whatever the rated value is cause the JC08 testing is still too optimistic (but better than the 10-15 test it replaced). 70% of 60km (Yes Toyota says "more than 60km" but we don't know what it is so we'll use 60) is 42km or 26 miles.

At a steady 40mph, you can eke much more than that. It takes very little power to maintain 40mph on a flat road.

And for those that say it's impossible, someone's done more than that on a PiP.

Gaming the system: record EV range! | PriusChat

13. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Never been in Denver however I assume it is quite impossible to find there a 30 miles flat road, isn't it?
    As for the "gaming the system" as far as I recall this is done in hilly area by using the ICE on climbs (toggling the button) - kind of forced charge?

14. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually Denver is on a heck of a plateau. Not that impossible to find 30 miles of REALLY flat road.

Pulse and glide.

Unsupervised!

15. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had never seen such flat land before I visited my wife's parents in Greeley CO. It's a little over an hour outside of DEN.

Oregon has few sections of road that are flat for miles, and even those have artificial hills created by on-ramps.

16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This particular route isn't flat. It's actually about an average of a 1/2% grade up on the way there, and the same down on the way back. On the way back, there's about 5-6 miles of almost pure coasting. Usually, I can get there with only four stops, which isn't bad for 13 miles. Only one section, of about half a mile, is above 40mph (55). The rest is 25, 35 or 40.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The NEDC was even optimistic compared to the pre-2008 EPA numbers.

18. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, however the 'pulses' or most of them are done by the ICE, not quite what the O/P wants to achieve.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not by much. I remember they matched the Canadian numbers closely at times (we just switched over to the 5-cycle in 2014)

20. Tideland2005

Tideland2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Avg LA freeway speed: 17mph. My 20 mile commute to downtown LA is virtually flat.
    I expect the Pime's useful EV range to be considerably > 22 miles for me.

Cheers, Everyone

Redpoint5 likes this.