1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Range

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by Aran, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Aran

Aran New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm. Not really understanding how Range is calculated of maybe just updated. 120 miles into a tank I'm averaging 53.8 mpg with a total range of 512 whereas it's had the same expected range mostly through a tank before but around 49 mpg.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Your Fuelly average shows 47.7. Set your meter to show odometer, what does the average now show? Now set it to trip-A, now what does it show? I'm assuming you use trip-A for your tank mileage. Anyhow, the displayed range is just one possibility and is a guess.

3. Aran

Aran New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Right, I use Trip A for each new tank. The car's computer mpg shows 49.2. I notice the range increase by about 10 miles after the highway portion of my 66 mi roundtrip commute and then it dips back down when I Eco/Normal mode off the highway. With a range that's seemingly dynamic I was wondering why, at 53+ mpg for Trip A, the range isn't inherently increased in the range.

4. Scott F.

Scott F. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A

I believe the range can also be impacted by the use of the climate control (just turning it on will probably drop the range) as well as the outside temperature (for example, you may notice that the range is estimate a little lower on a colder day).

5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I believe the range takes into account the mpg on the last tankful as well as current mpg, that's how it works out what figure to display when you first fill up.