1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rapid clicking (vibration) from MFD when starting

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bananastand, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Bananastand

Bananastand New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2011 Prius. Everytime we start the Prius we hear a rapid clicking coming from the dash. The clicking (sounds like a really fast relay, or slipping gear vent door gear?) Lasts for4-5 seconds, when all systems would go through diagnostics, self checking when car is first turned on. I can feel a vibration during the clicking strongest when touching the MFD screen. What could be clicking behind the MFD? Could it be the MFD itself? The clicking does not occur at any other time other than initial start.

Things we have tried: disconnected battery for an hour. When reconnecting battery, the sound/clicking occured again.

Cycled through all air conditioning vents with heating and cooling. No clicking occured, and everything worked as expected. I was thinking it could be the mixture valve, but I stuck my hand and head down there and I did not feel the vibration or hear the clicking coming from under the dash.

Has anyone experiences this, or have any ideas? Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it sounds like a relay trying to close. can you hear anything under the bonnet?

i would test the 12v health, free at most auto parts stores

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Need a better description here... "clicking" is too vague... And as @bisco says, we need you to be sure it's coming from the dash and not the engine compartment for us to help you with a repair.

4. Bananastand

Bananastand New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you guys! I'm working on getting video of the issue as I'm sure it will do better justice than be trying to describe the issue.

bisco likes this.