1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rapid Key Fob Battery Drain

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by RRxing, Apr 11, 2017.

1. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A recent issue has reared it ugly head regarding my key fob batteries. I replaced the CR1632 battery in one of the fobs a couple of months ago when its original battery died. I left the spare fob without a battery, but had a new one available for future use.

A few days ago the fob no longer worked. Weird, it's a relatively new battery - Anyway, I replaced it with the spare. A day or two later, you guessed it - dead fob again.

Bought two new batteries and put one in the spare fob I had in the drawer. Worked fine for a day or so, then another dead battery.

I have done absolutely nothing different as far as where I normally keep the fobs. I know what the manual says about keeping the fobs near TVs, cell phones, etc., but this does not apply. There are no new electronics in the house to possibly cause the batteries to drain. What I find frustrating is that the same thing happens with BOTH fobs. I did a close inspection of the circuit boards and found nothing obvious, like oxidation on the contacts or visible damage.

The last new battery read 3.2VDC out of the package. It now reads 2.7VDC after about an hour in the fob. Again, this is happening with both fobs. Again, nothing out of the ordinary as far as where I normally keep the fobs.

Cue Sarcasm - By process of elimination I can only surmise that someone in the neighborhood recently installed a Tokamak reactor and didn't get the proper permits - End Sarcasm.

Having to use the manual key to lock/unlock the car is getting old (I know - 1st World Problem). Putting the fob on the Power button to start the car works fine, so I don't think there's a problem with the handshake between fob and car.

Does anyone have any suggestions short of buying a new fob or two? Thanks in advance.

#1 RRxing, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Prieth and bisco like this.
  2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm going to have a co-worker check out the circuit board(s) next week to see if one or more of the buttons are acting as if depressed. The buttons seem to be working okay but that might just be wishful thinking on my part...

Is there anybody out there?

3. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had one of my two fobs drain very quickly after a battery replacement several years ago (it lasted about a week). I just swapped it out for the spare and never had an issue again. I checked the voltage over the course of a couple of hours and it dropped similarly to yours.

Actually i probably need to re-visit the old fob and see if it is still draining quickly.

4. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Are you using name brand cr1632 cells?
    I found several lots off EBay and amazon tested good with a meter but yielded very short lives.
    I have since switched to Panasonic cells and I have not had any additional problems.

Former Member 68813 likes this.
  5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I've been using Energizer CR1632 batteries. I tried but couldn't find any Duracell's locally. I'm not at the point where I would order any online yet - I want to find out if the issue is with the fobs themselves.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    shouldn't a new battery be 3.3v?

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I rounded down. It read 3.2+VDC

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try shielding the spare fob, and see if the voltage drops.

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't keep a battery in the spare, but I'll put a new battery in one of the fobs and then wrap it in aluminum foil, let it cook for a while, then see what happens.

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about improper installation and shorting the battery? Furthermore, touching battery or the insides with sweaty hands can leave conductive tracks. Clean everything with pure alcohol and only use genuine batteries. I understand there are counterfeit "energizer" batteries on eBay and Amazon.

11. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got smart and got the lifetime battery replacement from Batteries Plus or Batteries and Bulbs or what ever they call it now Batteries - Phone Repairs - Light Bulbs - Chargers - Batteries Plus Bulbs. The original lasted almost two years and the next two replacements lasted less than nine months. Bought the life time battery replacement, for watches and Key fobs, (twice the normal price) and I get free replacements every time the battery dies in the fob. Funny how the battery seems to last longer when they have to pay for the replacement. I just walk in hand the employee the fob and they install a new battery and hand it back to me free. I wouldn't recommend getting the free battery replacement unless your planning on keeping the car for more than a few years.

#11 ALS, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  12. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    UPDATE: I told someone at work about the fob battery drain who then asked me if I had remote start on the car. I do. He said his parents car had remote start and suffered the same issue with fob batteries dying. He said he disconnected the remote start and the problem went away. I'm going to do some troubleshooting when I get a chance to see if the hood switch may be stuck or if there is an easy way to disable the remote start, then try a new battery in the fob...the saga continues...

Actually, I'm going to start by disconnecting the negative on the 12V battery and then put a new battery in the fob to see if the drain occurs. If no drain occurs, then at least I'll know there is a continuous handshake between the fob and car. I'll proceed with the remote start from there...

kc5dlo and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  13. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Update II: So I finally got around to do some additional troubleshooting (been kinda busy lately.)
    Test #1 - I put a new battery in the fob and placed it inside 2 RF-resistant bags and waited a few hours. No luck, battery drained.
    Test #2 - I disconnected the 12V in the Prius (it read 12.58VDC) and then put a new battery in the second fob and waited an hour or two. Again, no luck, the fob battery drained.
    Conclusion - Both fobs have a short which is draining the battery,
    OR
    There is some new, strong RF signal in or around the house.

I think I'm just going to live with this first-world problem.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you remove the remote starter?

maybe go for the lifetime battery replacement mentioned above.

15. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OR
    The "new" batteries you have been using are not in the best of condition when installed.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  16. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Six different batteries from three different locations? Half of which I checked having >3.1 volts prior to install? I don't think that's the issue...

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  17. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'd be going through a dozen or more batteries a day...

18. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    With the 12V disconnected, nothing would be going off a signal.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too bad there isn't a way to try a new fob without buying it.

20. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything less than 3.3v is bad. Trust me. I went through that before, feel free to search here, and problem went away when I cleaned the fob and used swiss made Renata cells (less likely to be fake). fake CR1632 - Google Search

HPrimeAdvanced and Raytheeagle like this.