1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rapidly fluctuating voltage on Banks 2 and 3

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Larry Clay, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Larry Clay

Larry Clay New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2004 Gen 2 with 250,000 miles. Red triangle, P3030, no start, will not shift into drive. Torque pro voltmeter for Banks 2 and 3 of the hybrid battery jump from 0 to 15 and back to zero rapidly. I have removed the battery pack and all cells are approximately 7.7 volts. Is the problem with the wiring harness or the brain module?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably the bus bar wiring harness unless you see corrosion at the ECU wiring harness connector; in that case replace both the bus bar and the ECU.

SFO likes this.
  3. Larry Clay

Larry Clay New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have cleaned all bus bars and treated with anti-corrosive grease. I'm not sure whether that was a good idea or not. I toned out each individual voltage sensing wire for the different modules I did not take an OHM measurement. Each wire had continuity.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any change to your observation of rapid voltage fluctuations?

5. Larry Clay

Larry Clay New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Haven't had a chance to get back into it yet. That's on the schedule for this afternoon.

honestly I have only rechecked the side of the batteries that has the sensor wires on it I have not checked back side at all it's possible I missed tightening one of the screws on the back side.