1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rat(?) Damage. How bad is this?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by naveto, Sep 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. naveto

naveto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    P_20160901_093205.jpg P_20160901_093200_1_p.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks like insulation, is it running okay?

3. naveto

naveto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It runs okay. It's one of two orange cables that hooks into the electric motor. The frayed stuff around it is a knit wire that goes over the cable plug in (which I assume is there to protect it).

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds right. maybe the dealer can make a repair. if not, i would try to find the exact purpose and find an alternate solution if possible. you're lucky he only chewed the shielding.

more importantly, time to take some preventative measures, before something worse happens.

5. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think the damage to the outside gray weave covering is a very big deal, but the damage to the orange cables is. If I was in your shoes, I would first cut away the grey weave using scissors, then using some automotive electrical tape, do a tight wrapping, at least two layers over all of the damaged parts of the wire. Then I would use some automotive wire conduit to cover each of the 3 exposed orange wires (even though they're only popping out an inch or two, I'm sure you'll need less than a foot of conduit: example) and electrical tape them up to seal the orange wires in. At a very minimum cover up the damages to the orange wires with electrical tape.

Also be sure to be safe in performing these tasks. I don't believe there is any possible power on those wires unless the car is on, but if there is, you should disconnect the high voltage battery in the trunk by removing the safety tab/handle prior to work.

6. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    That's probably a bad idea. That's shielding that may cause issues if removed. If the OP does remove it then he probably needs to find some way to replicate it afterwards using some kind of conductive tape.

7. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...When I had looked at it originally I thought it was a plastic shield, but now it looks like it's metal. If it's metal, I agree - there should be a metal wrapping around the overall cable to maintain the grounded, shielded cover.

8. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would also use rubber tape, we use it to wrap 480V, 400 AMP motor leads. it is a stretch tape.

9. Bigboi

Bigboi Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Darn rats. I just caught 5 baby mice by hand all in my basement. When it gets cold they come to play