1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rat inside ingine compartment problem

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zakky, Nov 6, 2015.

1. zakky

zakky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    hi friends i am facing a serious problem regarding this idiot rat since last 2 weeks i use to get some bad smell coming inside from my car when ever i start my car. But, today i just open the front bonnet and i saw some rat feces on my engine compartment i feel really upset i do not know how long that this is happening. Fortunately he did not eat any electrical compartment rather than my front camera wire which was fixed by myself :( and it has eaten, tared some of the sponge which use to come near head light unit and in between front wheel. i have attached some of the images. can any one suggest me a good idea in order to prevent from rat and i saw some old posts but i didn't get any good one. I would like to ask from you all will it be alright and start preventing from today or do i wants to check up with some experts. because i just checked but no more electric wire eaten. if i wants to check up with experts.[​IMG][/url] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

#1 zakky, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
  2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Basil?????? :LOL: ;)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! At this time of the year with the weather cooling off, small furry creatures tend to seek warm places by moving indoors, and I've found scattering a few mothballs around the corners and nooks and crannies in my garage helps disuade the little critters from setting up home in my garage, or (god forbid!) in my car. (I remember finding a mousie's nest in the heater-fan in my last car :eek:) My only other suggestion might be to get a cat! Good luck! ;)

PS: I was somewhat curious as to why there would be pieces of paper floating around in the engine compartment? (…just curious, that's all! o_O)

#2 WilDavis, Nov 6, 2015
    zakky likes this.
  3. zakky

zakky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    :p i just picked up some rat feces and kept on that paper other than that [​IMG] this is the sponge which will come inside the car it was damaged by rat

#3 zakky, Nov 6, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the best you're going to find is the variety of posts already covering it: cats, traps, peppermint, mothballs, poison, hardware cloth, leave the hood up if you have a garage, and the like. unfortunately, there isn't one solid guaranteed fix. all the best!

zakky and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is the car in a garage? We had a small rat, he spent sometime in the car engine compartment, and some in the garage. In the garage he found bags of bird seed and rice, and stored fruit. It'd help to take all food sources away from the garage, and/or seal them in hard containers.

What finally got it out of there was we were babysitting our daughter's dog, a Shiba Inu. He sensed it right away. At the time it was somewhere on shelves in the garage. It zipped across the floor, out the door, never returned.

I'd second Bisco's mothballs, traps, leaving the hood up.

zakky likes this.
  6. zakky

zakky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    last time that rat did this to my car wire, this is the wire which is going through the engine. little bit damages as shown in the picture and no dashboard warrnings or error. I think its better to checkup with the technician. on Nov 14th i am having my full service date, so i think i can wait until that :) and i am not going to start my car until 14th what is your suggestion guys.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sleep in the car, the rats are afraid of you.;)

zakky likes this.
  8. zakky

zakky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    I am planing to buy a kitten :) so rats should afraid ;) i hope

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ingenius!(y)

zakky likes this.
  10. HeavyUser

HeavyUser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    setup some rat traps in the engine compartment for a few nights, see what comes up!

11. Scott D

Scott D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    This isn't cheap but if it is above 50 degrees in your garage line the perimeter all the way around your car with the sticky rat glue traps. They are not as sticky below 50 degrees. Just be aware that when you catch the rat on the sticky trap that you with have to finish the rat off with a shovel to the head. Not pleasant but necessary. Also, there is probably a lot more than just one rat or mouse. Sorry for the bad news.

12. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Peppermint oil.....use generously. Rodents hate the smell.

SM-G900V ?