1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RATE of charge, over time?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Leeyum, May 2, 2013.

1. Leeyum

Leeyum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wonder if anyone has data on the RATE of charge, over time?
    In terms of available EV mileage?

If there are several charging stations on my route, let's say all very convenient, and I have a choice between sitting at one charging station for 2 hours, or two charging stations for 1 hour each, is there going to be a difference in the number of total EV miles I can get?

I suspect more than 50% of the available miles is in the first half of my charging interval, but I don't know this for a fact.

Thanks!

Liam

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's the data you're looking for:

Attention Kill A Watt Nerds | PriusChat

The charge rate seems pretty uniform, except at the very end where it kind of slows down before it tops off the charge. I thought there was also a slight ramp-up in the beginning too, although Priuskitty's data doesnt appear to justify that.

In terms of EV miles though, its going to vary from owner to owner. Someone who's full-charge shows 9 miles of EV range is going see a slightly lower "EV miles/hour" than someone who sees 13 miles of EV range. But we all know the EV range displayed is just an estimate anyway..

Leeyum likes this.
  3. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The last ~15 min is always at ~50% the charge rate. So two one hour charges is better than a two hour charge...if the two hours gets you to the final 15 min. Except that if you are using a L2 240v charging station you will be done in 90 minutes anyway.

Mike

Leeyum likes this.