1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rats, Scary Lights, Gas Engine Never Stops...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Prius Anxiety, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Prius Anxiety

Prius Anxiety Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a lot, sorry. I'll start by saying I have no idea what I'm doing, but trying my best. It all started with no tail lights. I replaced the blown #30 tail fuse. It blew again. I started chasing burned bulbs, replaced four. I got to front side marker light and found chewed wires. I couldn't turn the socket to actually see the damage. This car is already missing a piece of windshield washer tubing from previous rat damage. At that point decided I would just take it somewhere to fix the chewed light wiring and washer tubing.
    The day I started car to take to shop I had a "check hybrid system" warning, check engine light, yellow triangle and a few more lights. Drove about 30 miles to dealer. Everything sounds normal except gas engine never stopped running. Dealer says code "P0B51". I've got more info. on various wires they checked on certain connectors that "ohmed good". Report says "Inspected wires coming out of hybrid voltage sensor and they were corroded due to water intrusion from leaking tail light assembly." I was unaware of any leak. Report continues: "Need to start with replacing the hybrid battery and hybrid battery voltage sensor. It may also need the junction block connected to the hybrid battery." Estimate total about $5,300. Paid about $370 for this report and estimate.
    Drove car 10 miles from dealer and parked it. Cleaned out trunk area, found water standing in spare tire storage area, pulled drain plug, dried out. That storage area was dry a week before it went to dealer. I had a bad experience with another dealer last summer and was giving this one a chance. I'm feeling very skeptical about the whole situation. This is a 2013, bought new, now has 90,000 miles. This was my husband's car. He did most of the maintenance himself and has since passed away. I have yet to determine if the 12v has ever been replaced. Could that cause this code? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any way you can trade it on a corolla or something?

3. Prius Anxiety

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was hoping to keep it for my daughter...

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :LOL:

Prius Anxiety likes this.
  6. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I don't see a P0B51 in the list of codes from the Repair Manual. Is it possibly a P0851? If the HV battery and its components need repair or replacement, there should be many different codes and P0851 is not even one of them.

If you've had water intrusion for any significant length of time, it is likely that the HV battery and the wiring around it have been compromised. You may find another dealer that would be able to do the work for less then $5,300, but it won't be that much less. Having this type of work done at a Toyota dealer is very expensive. If you can't DIY with salvage parts, which is really your best option, you will need to find a competent independent hybrid mechanic to do the work, which is also a challenge. They tend to be few and far between. On top of your HV battery issues, you have wires that have been damaged by rodents. Fixing all of that could be another labor intensive job, depending on the extent of the damage. The car may have some sentimental value to you, but as has been suggested, I really think you would be best off getting what you can for it from Craigslist or where-ever and getting a good condition non-hybrid, Corolla or Yaris or Civic, for your daughter.

Prius Anxiety likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did find P0B51 in the Gen 3 manual; it refers to a crazy low reading on one of the battery block voltage sense lines. (That is, a reading less than 2.5 V, which would tend to suggest the wire was broken or off, rather than just a weak block, which should still make a better showing than 2.5 V.)

These "crazy low reading" codes start at P0B3D for the first sensor input, and the codes are five apart (in hex) for whatever reason, so the code for the second sensor is P0B42, the one after that P0B47, then P0B4C, and so on.

davecook89t and Prius Anxiety like this.
  8. Prius Anxiety

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Google found a P0B51 Toyota hybrid battery voltage sense "E" circuit low. Lists possible causes as faulty battery smart unit or faulty hv battery assembly. The dealer mentioned corrosion at the battery connections but wouldn't clean them, only replace the battery. I was completely unaware of any water leakage until the day I took it to the dealer. I just don't understand how there was no water in there 2 or 3 days prior and then at least 2 inches of standing water when I got the car back. I've been searching the internet trying to learn a little more about all of this. I just didn't think the car would be driving like it is if the battery needed to be replaced.

We have another 2013 Prius. Last summer I took it to a different dealer for a different warning light and a different chewed wire. They originally wanted me to file an insurance claim and said it would be at least $5,000. After I refused that the wire was fixed, the light went out and the car has been fine ever since. That one cost about $300. I was hoping that I'd get that lucky with this one.

davecook89t likes this.
  9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    P0xxx codes are defined in the SAE J2012DA standard, which lists five codes for each of 26 sense circuits, “A” through “Z.” For example, for the “E” circuit:

P0B4F Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage Sense "E" Circuit
    P0B50 Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage Sense "E" Circuit Range/Performance
    P0B51 Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage Sense "E" Circuit Low
    P0B52 Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage Sense "E" Circuit High
    P0B53 Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage Sense "E" Circuit Intermittent/Erratic​

P0B4F is used on fourth-generation Prius cars, and P0B50, P0B52, and P0B53 aren’t used on any Prius.

davecook89t likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Makes sense ... SAE defined five distinct types of problem that could be detected for each circuit, and Toyota for Gen 3 picked one of them to support.

11. cnttxmdc

cnttxmdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Did you find the resolution to this?
    My mom's gen 3 is starting to have similar issues and I'm trying to do some research prior to getting the car Tuesday.