1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattle behind steering wheel within dash when hitting bumpy road

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Misplaced10mm, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Misplaced10mm

Misplaced10mm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2018 Prius V (Canada only release, it's same as the 2017 V in the US). And a few weeks ago it developed an annoying, metallic rattle behind the steering wheel.

When I removed the paneling (all except the top most part since it's connected to the A column panel) the rattle was definitely louder. The rattle is coming from deep within the dash.

The rattle occurs whenever I hit bumpy roads at higher speeds. I took apart the surrounding paneling and did the following troubleshoots:
    • Tightened the Intermediate Steering Shaft bolt. It was already locked down tight
    • Took apart the paneling beneath the steering wheel and tightened every accessible bolt
    • Tried tightening and holding down the ducting while driving as explained in this old post. Noise is NOT the ducting because even when I held and secured it the noise persisted
    Any guesses?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's new. Take it to the dealer and have them sort it out.

Probably a 'spare part' that was dropped and lodged itself in the dash during assembly.

3. Misplaced10mm

Misplaced10mm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Problem solved- the rattle was caused by a loose junction box. Probably from an electronics project from a few years back. Tightened it down and rattle is now GONE.