1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattle clunk from front end

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mfa-prius, Jun 29, 2010.

1. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, another trip to the dealer and another $3K and the problem appears to be truly fixed. Here's what we think happened:

1) Struts started to wear out some time ago, but other dealers never reported any problems during the regular inspections. The "Front suspension support sub-assy" was the part most responsible for the front-end clunking but not the rattling, which got worse.
    2) Just before I tried this latest dealer, I had had the tires rotated, which brought the rear tires to the front. This resulted in a thumping-whirring sound from the front, but only audible on smooth roads with little "normal" tire noise. Took me some time to notice it, and sounded a little like a bearing going bad to me and some other amateur diagnosticians.
    3) So I brought it back and they did an in-depth inspection, where they determined
    a) the rear struts were shot,
    b) the bad struts had caused severe tire cupping on the rear (now the front) tires, and that was now causing the new noises.
    4) Also during the serious inspection, they determined the rack & pinion was shot, as well as the half-shaft and yoke, which had been the rattling.

So... (at 98,812 miles) new rear struts, new rack & pinion, new half-shaft and yoke, and new tires, and all the problems seem to be resolved, exccept possibly a thud-like clunk which could well be the Engine Mount Assmbly TSB. They were kind enough to loan me an '11 Prius overnight, which made me like my '05 even more. Only complaints now are:

1) Why weren't the bad rear struts detected during all the periodic inspections?
    2) Is it reasonable for the steering components to wear out at only 100,000 miles?
    3) They charged me full book price for each rear strut; seems to me there's some common labor that could be split somehow. Next time this happens I'll have them do one strut one day, and the other one the next day just to get my money's worth :).

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) I have previously posted that Toyota's recommended approach to determine if front struts/rear shocks need to be replaced is to look for significant visible fluid leakage. This results in a high rate of "false negative" outcomes, where bad parts are deemed good.

a) the strut fluid is very thin and will evaporate in high ambient temperatures. I have personal experience of this with my 2004 when the front struts failed while the car was located in southern AZ. One strut was literally bathed in strut fluid, wet from top to bottom. A couple of months later, the strut was bone dry. (The reason for the delay in my doing the replacement work was that I was on an extended business trip at the time.)
    b) the true test is to remove the component from the car, take off the spring, and compress the part by hand, comparing the effort required to a new component. Of course, if you go to all that trouble, you'd might as well replace the part regardless of the outcome of the test.
    c) these components are sourced from KYB, are not high-quality to begin with, and after 60K miles of service the parts are significantly worn. If you want to keep your car in top shape and can afford to replace the struts/shocks, that should be done at 60K mile intervals.
    d) the "push the bumper down" test is guaranteed to provide false negative outcomes. That test is only useful for 60's vintage American cars with very soft springs.

2) No, but this may be due to worn front struts.

3) There is no significant amount of common labor. The work to replace two rear shocks is 2x the work to replace one. If you don't value your time spent going to the dealer 2x vs. one time, then go for it. :)

mfa-prius likes this.
  3. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, Patrick. I guess the moral here is to replace the struts every 60,000 miles or so, as some have recommended? Funny - when they replaced the front struts originally, they said they'd have to use aftermarket struts -- Monroe, they said -- since they didn't have any of the OEM in stock. But when they returned the old struts to me, they were in an OEM box. And now I can't find any solid reference to an aftermarket strut on the forum (Some say the OEM is junk, others say it's the best), but the Monroe site shows an "OESpectrum Strut" available, and Gabriel shows front struts and rear shocks available. Any opinion on aftermarket vs OEM?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If Bilstein made struts/shocks for Prius, I would buy them. I do not have experience with Monroe/Gabriel parts.

If the choice is between KYB aftermarket vs. Toyota-branded parts manufactured by KYB, I would say the decision should be based upon whatever you can buy at a lower net price. My personal choice has been to purchase the latter.

5. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Fair enough. Looks like the Prius market isn't attractive to Bilstein... The labor for having the dealer install whatever struts he likes only adds about $.013/mile to my cost of operation, and at my age doing that myself isn't a very attractive option.

6. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just had this same problem on a 2005 with 143k miles. I took it to the dealer because it had an open recall for the steering shaft anyway. I knew this wasn't the problem but I figured I might be able to get a free diagnosis. They replaced the steering shaft assembly (part # 45260-47052 $136.64) and the steering yoke sub assembly (part # 45209-12201$88.55) and only charged me $49 diag and $20 shop supplies because they were already in there doing the recall. It didn't hurt that the advisor is a friend of mine and I have a wholesale account with the dealer for parts. The total for the repair was $294.19 (I am tax exempt).

This completely fixed the problem! IMG_5708.JPG

7. Francis13

Francis13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

8. Francis13

Francis13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my intermediate steering shaft no. 2 replaced in the first recall in 2006. Before the second recall, I too started noticing a clunking rattling sound, especially when going over bumps or on a rough road. When Toyota did the second recall, I thought they were finally going to fix the problem. It did not. The clunking, rattling kept getting worse over the years and it started feeling like the steering was loose and drifting as well. I brought the car in several times to have it looked at to no avail. Recently, I was going down a dirt road and it felt like the front end was going to fall off. Finally, I reached under the dash myself and could feel play in the intermediate steering shaft that was supposedly replaced in 2006. I took it into the dealership. They said they examined it, and came back to tell me that indeed the intermediate steering shaft no.2 and the yoke below it needed to be replaced--estimate $548.50. They said the car had too many miles on it since the original recall, and the cost would be mine. I protested to Toyota Customer Care, and they said the same. I finally purchased the intermediate steering shaft no. 2 from Toyota for $180 (I was pretty sure the yoke was OK), and went to replace it myself. What I found when I removed the lower dashboard shocked me--the bolt on the top end of the intermediate steering shaft no. 2 was loose. The head was protruding about 1/8". The steering shaft was fine, but since I had the new one, I replaced it anyway and tightened the bolts well. The result--no more clunk, no more rattle, no more drifting. Pretty scary! I went back to the dealer, and the dealer agreed that the replaced part looked fine, but maintained the bolt had been tightened properly when it was originally replaced under the recall (they claimed there were marks on the part that showed the bolt had been tightened. In other words, they would not own the problem. If the bolt somehow worked itself loose, that is even more scary. I filed a case with NHTSA. I know that I will not return to that dealership for service or to purchase my next vehicle, and the entire episode has made a skeptic out of a previously very loyal Toyota customer. I have been waiting to purchase the next model Prius when it finally comes out. Now I'm going to look around.

9. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's getting so that I don't trust anybody. I now always go over the car, house, body, whatever I have worked on by "Pro's" and check as much as possible myself. I rarely find a perfect job. Fasteners left out or not secured in the car, gaping holes in my AC system at home following total duct replacement, Rx for meds recently declared possibly dangerous by the FDA, the list goes on. Be careful out there.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Francis:

That would really upset me too. The one most important thing to get right and even maybe use lock tite on the bolt threads is the bolts there. If the intermediate shaft breaks loose you have no steering. Guaranteed very bad accident as it would break loose rolling into a corner at speed I bet. Awful.

Post the name of this really bad dealer please.

11. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    mfa,

This sounds like a wheel bearing. One of my front bearings failed around 60k on my 2005. It had been clunking like you describe for months. I thought it was a CV joint.

Whatever it is it will get worse until you finally figure it out.

12. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, as I said in #21, I think the problem was solved, by replacing just about everything except the bearings. I can't help but contrast this with my '91 F-150 with 174,000 miles on it, still running the original shocks, springs, struts, steering stuff, all while being driven a lot harder than the Prius.

13. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Taking another one to the dealer for same problem as previous post #26. It fixed the problem last time. I will let you know how it turns out.

14. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to have this one fixed for $98.50. They just tightened a few bolts and noise is gone. I will try that myself next time. IMG_8403.JPG

15. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Looks like you found an honest dealer. I'd appreciate a PM telling me where it is.

16. danereising

danereising New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOWER CONTROL ARM AND / OR BALL JOINT.

17. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

sent

18. SDCPs

SDCPs New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! I've been through numerous threads on this forum related to my front end rattle / knock which I hear when going over small bumps and feel in the steering wheel. Took a whole day to film parts of my car from different angles and determined from the footage that the ENGINE is what's shaking and making this noise. Potentially an engine mount? Would be the driver's side mount underneath the inverter. I don't know if this was part of a recall, will probably eventually contact Toyota and see if repair was done on my vehicle (purchased 2019).

Anyway, I compiled a video of the various useful footage. You can see the struts and all the various steering components, the intermediary shaft (one bolt was loose on my lower linkage and tightening did seem to make the steering wheel feel a bit better. I even took the rubber boot off the rack and pinion to check the bolt in the engine bay. ). If you're having this issue perhaps this post will help you with the diagnosis! And if anyone with more knowledge of these cars than myself can tell from my footage exactly what's wrong--and if the issue is worth repairing at 205K miles, what it might cost, etc--I and others will be appreciative as well! Posting this in a few of the more prominent threads so that it can be found for that person whom it will benefit.

19. Wooward

Wooward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a Gen3 clunk that was fixed with tightening the steering wheel shaft. Before that though, I did some research and replaced the swaybar bushings and endlinks. Sounds like you are well read on the topic though.

I am curious about your camera setup. What camera/mount did you use to take that footage? It's very useful and helps immensely for diagnosis. Thanks.

Slack in steering column (rattling noise) | PriusChat

20. SDCPs

SDCPs New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply! The camera setup was fairly simple, a cheap knock-off action camera with image stabilization (Apeman A90, 89 or something I believe) and largely one of those suction cup action camera mounts. I really should have made a magnet mount to attach to the control arms etc, I used a clip to hold a quick clip to it...pretty dicey but needed that footage!

Inexpensive USB endoscope finally arrived from China, and yes, that engine mount appears to be damaged, will research how to replace and update if that's the fix