1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattle in dash behind steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by johnhuff, Oct 16, 2023.

1. johnhuff

johnhuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can anyone tell me what this is?

https://t.ly/A-iPK

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Put your hand on the dash about 4 or 6 in above the power button while you're driving gently apply light pressure You could lay a heavy tool up there too but just use your hand right under that top dash assembly that houses the display forward to that right behind the big white plugs you may have never seen before if you're not had the dash top off there was some wiring and nonsense right in there and my way to fix this for one of my generation too because I didn't want to rip the dash pad back off you're going to love this. I pulled the power button panel off take the screw from the top panel that secures the dash pad on that side of the car withdraw the screw take your plastic pride tool and now you'll pry up the three points that hold the dash top to the little clips that are built in squares or rectangles that are built into the dash frame that doesn't move when you do that if you take a flashlight and look in that gap you will see stuff wiring BS what I did was take a plastic bag a can of foam which is open cell and I slide the bag right in there where that wire and mess is it's kind of vibrates against the desktop I slide the bag in with the hose from the phone in the bag I give it a little shot and then I pull the nozzle out I leave my little pry tool in the space so the phone can expand a little I let that dry 40 minutes then I come back out put it all back together now when I put my hand back over that spot it feels like it's solid like a table top not a thin piece of plastic to flap up and down with every vibration If you have a center channel speaker that can help the vibration in that area so you're tightening that up It's like what Amazon puts in your shipping packages You're just doing your own on the fly another way might be to take a piece of foam mat maybe quarter inch thick cut to the size you need like 4x4 4x5 use a pair of hemostats or something thin to slide that in over the wires and stuff that vibrates against the dash top and then screw it back down and go for a drive or you can take the whole dash top off try to read arrange the wiring and play and all afternoon game I was trying to avoid taking the dash top off for no reason essentially Good luck.