1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattle In Dash!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by keymusic, Feb 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Royal Adams

Royal Adams New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have one too but I took dash off and ant reattach. Wish I had just the rattle alone.
    Royal

2. CIBARIUS

CIBARIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I took my dash apart using this video
    And found the source of the rattle!

In the center of the dash cover (first large part taken out in that video) there is a black device cover secured to a metal plate which is held by two screws under the defrost manifold assembly.

I placed some thin foam under the cover before snapping it back onto the metal plate. Solved

3. Mike Capps

Mike Capps Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've had a small, hollow, plasticky sounding rattle in my dashboard for a while. It's intermittent, but been getting more frequent lately. I ripped the whole dashboard apart tonight, and I finally found it. In the upper center attached to the underside of the dashboard, there's a rectangular piece with a tan colored clip at the bottom and a single gray wire coming out of it. If you reach around to the backside of that piece (toward the front of the vehicle, and very close to the light sensor), there is a small plastic shield that's mounted on top of something. I couldn't see it, but I could feel it and make it replicate the noise when I would flick it. Anyhow, I shoved some adhesive foam on top of it, and the noise is gone thus far. I took some pictures as best I could, one of them showing me pointing at the underside of that piece. Hopefully this is helpful, I know the description is a bit wonky, but it's the best I can give. Best of luck!

Attached Files:

4. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    YES!!! I did the same thing. it is a small plastic piece in the middle of it, on top. I posted about putting tape over it.

WHAT IS THAT? I want to know if we just castrated a sensor. No answers yet

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It’s the GPS receiving antenna—in Toyota’s terms, the navigation antenna assembly, 86860-78010, and the navigation antenna bracket, 86862-78010, shown in catalog Figure 86-03, Navigation & Front Monitor Display.

To confirm that it’s still working, park in an outdoor space where you’d expect good GPS reception, and then use the System Sensors Check function in the diagnostic mode for the head unit.