1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattle in hatchback door

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gen 2 Craiggers, May 9, 2023.

1. Gen 2 Craiggers

Gen 2 Craiggers New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello everyone, longtime owner, first time poster.
    I recently had a backup camera professionally installed and it turned out great. The only post-installation issue I now have is there is a rattling noise inside the hatchback door. The installer mentioned a zip tie or something similar fell into one of the metal holes in the hatch and he didn't want to spend too much time trying to extract it. So now I have a rattling noise in the hatch that's a bit annoying. Has anyone had any luck removing an item that seems to be trapped in the hatch door itself?
    Thank you.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes you see the grab handles in your hatch plastic that's a fixed to the inside of the rear hatch believe it or not that just pulls off You can take some plastic spluges and pry the clips up once one comes loose you just gently pull and they should pull out they make a tool for this I own one or two of them and I've used them maybe once sometimes some of the clips may deteriorate and crack It's okay they're very cheap. And can be had at places like Menards and advance Auto so don't worry too much I used to have a box with a hundred of them here I've used them all up they're very popular and most Toyota door panels and what have you. I have a peace in my '09 tailgate I've just been too lazy to pull that panel off to extract the broken tab that came off of the piece that holds the plate light that I replaced the little tab fell in and I just didn't want to pull the panel to grab it.

3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes. What Tom said. The black plastic panel that you put your hand in to close the liftgate. That entire piece is only held on with plastic clips.
    pry the side up with a plastic pry bar and keep going. Then give it a good 25 lb pull. It will come off. They you can look for the object left in there by your installer.

4. Gen 2 Craiggers

Gen 2 Craiggers New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for your suggestions. I did remove that plastic panel, but the rattling was inside the actual metal door. Part of a (broken) cable tie/organizer went into the door itself through an area that has a hole in it. I decided to try using a bicycle seat leash to aim for the area where I could hear the clip rattling (attached photo). I was able to get it out after several sweeps. Hopefully that was the only one trapped in there. If not, I now have a strategy for removing the next one that finds its way down there.
    Thanks again for the help.

Attached Files:

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’m sure the installer dropped a clip in there, he knows exactly what’s in there and doesn’t want to spend time fishing it out. I think you're stuck with it

#5 JC91006, May 9, 2023
    Last edited: May 9, 2023
    ColoradoCrow likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's how doors and hatches look with trim off . I use a springed pick up tool the new one has a led on end