1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattles, Rattles Everywhere!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nivonia, Jun 13, 2012.

1. selwin36

selwin36 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    After 3 weeks from a rattle I thought was coming from the middle of the dash board, I discovered it was from my metal rimmed sun glasses stored in the overhead storage compartment...Charlie

2. Cap'n

Cap'n Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    An, that discovery must have felt good!

3. AtoyotA

AtoyotA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Absolutely no rattles at 4 months and 3,000 miles. Mostly suburban driving though.

4. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I had no rattles until the Exhaust Gas Control Actuator service was performed. After that, there was an irritating intermittant rattle from the rear, particularly when taking moderate-speed left hand curves and turns.

I took it back to the dealer, who found the problem. There is a rear cross bar that was loosened and retightened as part of the recall service. Although it was torqued to spec, it needed just a bit more torque to prevent the rattle. Problem solved and no more rattles!

Chazz8 likes this.
  5. helijeff

helijeff New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2010 IV has rattled since the week after I bought it. Several dealers have tried half-heartedly to fix it but the rattles keep emerging. One dealer sent a technician with hearing aids on a test drive with me and, big shock, he couldn't hear any rattles. Another dealer told me I should just accept the rattles and be happy I'm alive - I'm not sure if that was a reference to the billion-dollar lawsuit settlement Toyota paid for neglecting other issues. I try to remember that the $30,000+ price tag of this car is mostly because of the electronics and engine R&D and the vehicle itself is really a cheap economy car. That is little comfort each month when I make my car payment. This is the worst Toyota of the 4 I've owned.
    People who don't have rattles need not reply.

6. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We've had our v for a year now (~9500 miles) and it's been rattle-free!

7. dhendriksen

dhendriksen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Gen III has a few rattles and it drives me nuts. The worst one is the drivers door panel...man, that one is annoying.

Droid RAZR HD MAXX

8. bholdn

bholdn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife and I recently traded our 2001 PT Cruiser for a 2010 Prius IV. Our other cars are a 2006 Mazda Miata and a 2004 GTO.

The Prius is by far the worst rattler of the bunch, including the PT from which we moved. I've followed and implemented every anti-rattle thread I can find here, and if the road I'm driving on wasn't just repaved to a mirror finish last week, the car still sounds like I'm hauling loose engine parts in the back of a pickup truck.

I appreciate the almost 40 mpg I get with careful, slug-like driving; that's at least double what the PT gave me. And I appreciate the heated seats of the IV.

But man, if it weren't my wife's car, I would trade it back for the trusty, quiet, 12-year-old PT in a heartbeat. I just hate to be in the thing. It's a constant assault on my senses.

I admit that rattles bother me a LOT. They do not bother my wife. Guess I'd better just settle in for the long haul.

Merkey likes this.
  9. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    9,300 miles. no rattles so far!

10. MarathonMarty

MarathonMarty Prii 4-timer

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would concur on the rattle issues with the 2010 Prius line; my '10 Prius Four was very noisy within a few months of purchase. On the other hand my 15 month old 2012 v3 is dead quiet. Hasn't developed a rattle yet, even in the middle of a cold winter. My only complaint is the legendary groaning in damp, cold conditions. My Entunes system works great with bluetooth phone and with my i-pad; I get excellent mileage and I have great cargo capacity. I love my 'v'.

11. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'll echo every word of that (except I didn't own a prior Prius and my current v3 is only 6 months old).

12. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've had my v for over a year now, and not a rattle anywhere except for loose stuff I have in the back. I hate rattles and search them out until found and corrected. My 2010 hatchback was a rattle machine, my v is not.

13. Cap'n

Cap'n Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I know this is an old note.

Our v is ten months old; 14K miles; no rattles!

14. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had bad rattle I thought came from the dash or glove box. Someone said "check back seat latch". It takes a hard slam to latch the back seats. After that no rattle even though from the drivers seat I thought it came from the front. Later I improperly installed the cargo cover and it rattled, easily fixed with a quarter turn and reinstalled. Good luck.

15. 1911Tex

1911Tex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Tight and no rattles here....check unfastened seat belts......buckle them when not in use also. All I hear are the tires!

16. Beauregard

Beauregard Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    No rattles in the '13 v. The gen 3 2010 was pretty quite too. If a rattle did develop it would usually be traced to something loose in the glove box, center console, eye glass holder, under seat..ect. Make certain it's not a self inflicted rattle before tearing into the dash or doors.

17. dialing_wand

dialing_wand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Our year old v rattles like crazy. Even completely empty. This may have something to do with the contraction of the materials in very cold weather but still it's a knock against an otherwise fine and thoroughly useful vehicle.

Within a week of having it the dash would "creak" over even the most minor of highway bumps.

I'm glad I return it in two years for a new vehicle of sorts (corporate lease.) Not owning it makes me not care so much but if it were "mine" I'd go nuts. Ultimately with this particular v, it's Toyota Canada's problem.

Noises or not the next owner will get a great (and babied) car.

18. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Must agree...one year old and it's full of "creaks, squeaks, and buzzes....

19. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The cargo cover seems to chatter; other than that, no squawks.

20. 1911Tex

1911Tex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The only rattles I have heard are from "stuff" I put in the rear compartment storage area under the carpet. I lined the storage area with shelf rubber liner....eliminates all noise; tight and quiet.