1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rattling from under the car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ofraz, Aug 27, 2020.

1. ofraz

ofraz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe it's coming from the heat shield!? when the engine starts, i can see it vibrating. i can't get under the car to check out everything in detail but I've heard a lot about catalytic converters being stolen. and since the shield in right above it, do you think someone tried to steal mine and was only able to loosen the shield? if that shield is making that sound because it's loose, how do i tighten it? and what can i do to make sure the catalytic converter doesn't get stolen? (other than buying the expensive metal sheet catshield) driving on the road it sounds like something's being dragged on the road like the sound a tailpipe would make if it was being dragged.

video:

Attached Files:

#1 ofraz, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it could also just be rusted. if you aren't going to buy ramps and diy, you'll need a mech with a lift.

there are cat shields available on line. check into ny requirements, a cat replacement is cheap enough if you can go aftermarket

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get the car up on ramps or safety stands and you'll be able to figure it out. Probably snagged on something. The fasteners may still attached but the heat shield holes tore out.

Washers made of aluminum flashing might remedy the torn holes. You don't want something too thick; it' might exceed the fasteners grip.

If fasteners are missing you can look them up on Toyota parts site, figure out the part nos.

scona likes this.