1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattling noise in the cabin

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by reignrider, Jul 20, 2009.

1. blizzardpearl

blizzardpearl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On my way home from taking delivery of the car, I noticed sever rattling, almost grating, sound whenever I hard accelerate or decelerate. There isn't anything in the glove compartments - first place I checked. Whatever it is it seems to be deep in the dash on in the engine compartment.

2. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. bigdoginaprius

bigdoginaprius Junior Member

Model:
    II
    Our 2010 started rattling about 3 weeks after we got the car. It sounded like it was on the right, front side. It turns out that the problem started right after I was showing the engine bay to a friend of mine. The metal stick that holds the hood up did not snap into place and was laying on top of the ending. When we accelerated it would rattle. I snapped it back in place and TA-DAAA the rattle stopped.

4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Richard P

Richard P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Same thing here. I taught it was our sunglasses in the glove boxe (the upper one) that was the problem. I bought a mousepad that I cut and put in the glove box but the rattling is still there.

1 person likes this.
  6. nparker13

nparker13 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

GREAT idea!

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have had three fairly loud rattles:

One was the rear seat not latched up as a priory mentioned, latched it properly rattle gone.

The second is the lid of the center console, it rattles on anything but the smoothest road when it is closed. When it is slid back to reveal the cup holder it doesn't rattle as bad. I have been trying to fix it by putting strips of adhesive backed felt where ever plastic meets plastic. Some success but not fixed yet. Also need to find some dark gray felt, I'm using green now and it doesn't look to good.

The third is somewhere on the right side of the vehicle toward the back, haven't found it yet.

I think these kind of rattles sometimes happen when a new model is introduced. I had a first model year Honda Accord and practically everything inside the car rattled, I had that car for 7 years and never got them all fixed. Prius isn't quite that bad, thankfully.

8. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. ddaynes

ddaynes New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here’s how I tracked down a resonant "rattle" in my package V. For less than $60 I bought a function generator and wired it’s output to a 3.5mm plug. Using the Aux jack and the car’s audio system the sine wave output from the generator allowed me to track down my rattle that turned out to be the aluminum shield over the LKA camera behind the rearview mirror. Unless my car was missing some kind of dampening in this area others are going to have the same problem.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  10. blase

blase New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have what sounds like two pieces of plastic rubbing together on the front drivers side dash. i only hear it on bumpy roads. I pressed on the dash at the point the sound seemed to be coming from and it stopped while I was pressing ti but started when I released. Anyone know what might cause this?

11. sciguy125

sciguy125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have what sounds like a scrapy thumpy noise coming from the front passenger side. I think it's coming from outside (like the fender or something). Any ideas?

What's really starting to bother me is that it's the exact same noise that my mom's 99 Avalon makes. Her's started on the passenger side also. After a few years, both sides are making the same noise. We've never managed to figure out what it is.

12. nparker13

nparker13 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think I can visualize what the sound is...mine comes from the back seat, and I think (assuming there is one), the fan for the battery vent sometimes hits the plastic guard. Its the only sound I can think of that sounds familiar, but I havent gotten the opportunity to further investigate. Does anyone know if theres a fan in there?

13. rlr66

rlr66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm getting the same rattling noise. Has Toyota issued the TSB? Did you get it fixed?

14. rlr66

rlr66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the car for a week and the same problem started. I think the dashboard is 2 parts. One right at the window that connects to the second part and the parts are rubbing. Have you gotten it fixed? It can be annoying especially on a car with less than 125 miles on it.:mad:

15. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's brilliant! How loud did you have to set volume to get the rattle to appear?

Tom

16. dryrider

dryrider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Read my dash rattle post

17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    psnger seatbelt?

18. April&Daisy

April&Daisy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check the visors! I have found that they can make significant rattles when they aren't hooked all the way in, and this is an easy thing to forget to check!

19. Wayleebird

Wayleebird New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    same on my gen 4

20. Toffer

Toffer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could possibly be coming from the heat shield in which one of the 3 heat shield bolts (lower) covering the exhaust manifold broke due to rusting out. I discovered this problem while removing the head to change out the HD gasket on my 2010 Toyota Prius.