1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattling/snapping brake calipers/pads

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by BZzap!, Mar 4, 2016.

1. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently Toyota has deemed this condition as "normal" and apparently isn't going to do anything about it. At least that is what I've been told by two different dealers. This is after my numerous attempts at getting it remedied.
    There are TSB's out there for caliper bushing replacement in 2011 and < Gen lll models. However, since then, Toyota has taken a "head-in-sand" approach with this aggravating issue. In other words, they [Toyota] have an engineering design problem.
    This scenario is as follows:
    1. (Driver window down) When transitioning lanes over Boss Dots or road irregularities brakes exhibit a loud snapping sound that actually resonates off of adjacent buildings.
    2. (Windows rolled up) Noise is somewhat subdued but can be heard depending on the severity of the road surface.
    I guess what I'm trying say by posting this, is, "The squeaky wheel is the one that gets greased." .

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Condition is evident in our 2013 also. Have heard it many times. I have duplicated sound with Toyota tech in car. Toyota claims it is normal as you wrote. They even said the new one's they drove did the same thing. To me it sounds like a clicking noise and I hear it whenever I drive over the turtles (boss dots) on the road dividing the lanes and sometimes hear it when the pavement transitions from one level to another. Hard to describe but those who have experienced this will know what is being talked about in this thread.

It is obvious there seems to be a problem, but Toyota does seem to ignore it.

3. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Have same problem with mine. Glad I'm not the only one.

Thought I was just being anal and looking for a problem that is not really there.

What a relief.

4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm hoping that enough people will respond to lend credence this complaint. In my (soon to follow) post, I will submit a short video snip to clarify.

5. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I heard it a lot on a certain road for a while with my 2012. I haven't heard it as much lately. The road is very bumpy, and it sounds like a loud click from behind the dash

6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I want to know this sound as well since I have a 2012 Prius... Post up a video so we can know what the sound suppose to sound like :D

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As promised, here is the video
    i'll try to post a video as soon as I master the procedure to upload the file.