1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RATTLING SOUND AT SHUTDOWN OF ENGINE WHICH CYCLES 6 TIMES

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rick 432, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Rick 432

Rick 432 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, I just got my first Prius yesterday. It is a 2007 as was listed as a three. I noticed a rattling sound from the engine after I would shut it down. It would make this rattling noise on and off six times and then would stop. The prior owner said it was the ABS pump. I believe it is the same noise I hear when I am driving the car. It rattles and then shuts off while driving but when the car is shut down it does it six times and then it stops. I know nothing about a Prius. I have a video but am unable to include it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for approving my member in this group.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds a little like a rattlesnake, or a joy buzzer?

When the car is on, can you make the same sound happen more often by pressing the brakes several times?

If so, the PO was right about it being the brake pressure pump.

Normal behavior is: you'd typically hear it when opening the driver's door, any time the car has been sitting for some time. You'd typically hear it again after every few to several uses of the brake. You'd typically hardly ever hear it when you are not using the brakes; the pressure in a good tight system can hold up a long time, maybe hours, before the pump has to run again, if the brakes aren't being used.

If yours is running a little more often than that, it could be on the way out.

If it is running on a period of minutes or seconds, even when you're not using the brakes, then "on the way out" is a long way in the rear-view mirror, and it is now most definitely "out".

Rick 432 likes this.
  3. Rick 432

Rick 432 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you so much for the explanation! I never had a Prius before so I am totally in the dark. I wish I was able to post a video as it would show exactly what I am hearing. When I park the car and get out, I hear this buzzing from the brake booster area (I assume that is it). It cycles 6 times and the buzzing sound lasts about 3 seconds at the most then it stops. Also, when I am driving the car, I will hear what I believe to be the booster from inside the car. It is a short buzzing sound that lasts about three seconds. There are no warning lights on the dashboard. The scanner I have is a cheep one and am not sure if it can even access these codes, if any.
    Again, I truly thank you for your information. Very helpful. Ps. I have read some posts on other sites that say this is normal. Well, I would rather know what is really happening even if is bad news. ;)