1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattling sound on breaking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by caliprius22, Dec 21, 2018.

1. caliprius22

caliprius22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Prius chat community,

I've been a happy Prius owner for 4 years, currently have a 2007 Prius base.
    I'm having noise issues w a 3 second rattle on the driver's side of the dashboard every other time I press the brake that Toyota DTLA service techs say is standard, I wanted to see if you can clarify this because the noise is bothersome, I can hear it cut through some songs I play on the radio while driving. If the cabin is quiet it can get annoying. If this sound is indeed normal is there any soundproofing you all recommend? This experience has made me start looking at other hybrid alternatives which is sad because I love the design and reliability of Toyota! I Look forward to your replies and thanks for your help!

listen here:

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the brake vacuum pump. Since the engine is not always running to provide vac for the braking system they needed an auxiliary pump to create vac. Every time you step on the brake it starts pumping briefly and is pretty quiet normally. Happens alot during driving. Yours is very loud so the bad news is it should not be that loud which makes me think you may be in the early stages of abs actuator failure which is becoming a quite common and very expensive issue.

Many many posts about it if that's the problem:

use search forums button up top and search

abs brake actuator

caliprius22 and bisco like this.
  3. caliprius22

caliprius22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey edthefox, thank you so much for your input!
    I test drove many Prius' and they all had a similarly loud noise on the brakes so am thinking this is normal.
    I've actually kinda gotten used to it by now but I'm still surprised that Toyota didn't somehow choose a silent braking system.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they would have if they could, for the same cost. but overall, prius is not a quiet car, except when in stealth mode
    that being said, the fact that you can hear it over music means ed is probably right, you have a very expensive fix coming your way