1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattling/Vibrating When Accelerating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Levandosky, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Levandosky

Levandosky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    unfortunately recently I crashed my Prius. I had hit a curb going pretty fast so I messed some things up. So far I've fixed the control arm, steering rack and pinion, ball joint, a few other small stuff. When I drive I hear clunking on every bump on the road which I assume is the struts and shock absorbers but theres a few new sounds that really worry me, it's a rattling sound when I start accelerating relatively hard, its extremely faint and only happens when accelerating at a certain point ( very difficult to hear the noise but at certain points of acceleration its louder and more clear ) it sounds like something's loose and that could very well be the case since I did all the fixes myself but again I'd like to make sure. It's less of a rattling and more of like metal vibration but I'm not sure. Oh few things to add, the sound doesn't happen when accelerating in park, only when driving on the roads which is what makes it so difficult to hear and understand the sound. I watched some youtube videos and I'm thinking it's the heat pan being lose from when I crashed. Maybe someone knows exactly what the noise is, I'll try to record a video but its faint and I'm sure you'll hear the road more than the noise

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps you could go to a big empty parking lot and have a friend in another car accelerate along side you and record the sound? It's very difficult to describe sounds, but if you can post a phone video on social media somewhere and share the link maybe we could help diagnose it?