1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rav4 -- Highlander or Outback

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Getting ready to retire. Want to do a little more backcountry camping and fishing and am thinking about getting a new rig that will fit the dog, camping and fishing gear, a few people (possibly a grandchild or two).

Not really going to do off-roading, but will ford a few small streams and will be on some bumpy dirt backroads. Not really planning to NEED AWD, so that is not a must.

Any,way, Prius is too low to the ground, because I DO need clearance. Prefer Toyota, but the new RAV4 is the first year of a redesign (something I have learned to avoid).

Highlander is a bit pricey for me, but is in the fourth year of it's generation.

Subaru Outback would be a departure for me. I have owned mostly Toyotas since 1982. But the Subaru looks very interesting. Any opinions would be welcome.

cyberpriusII and ETP like this.
  2. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hybrid Rav 4 (March) unless you have a 500# arsh. Highlander Hybrid is a beast and I have one and bought it for the same reason. Very nice vehicle but a little large.
    Do not avoid Toyotas the first year as they are quality vehicles and not GM or Dodge and maybe Ford.
    Rav 4 is MIJ as well 4 Runner. My wife's butt was not comfortable in a Rav 4. It was either the Highlander or a new wife. Highlander was cheaper.

BTW/looked at the Subaru's also and was tempted, tested, and tried but not found wanting.

Stevewoods likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How many miles will you anticipate driving?

If it were me in your situation, I’d look for an off lease 4Runner as that will have the best ground clearance and you won’t have to worry about long term ownership issues like a hv battery.

We had a 4Runner for 17 years and it was bulletproof. Only had to fix one axle seal outside of normal maintenance. I took that out into the wilderness and it performed very well.

If the mileage count will be on the low side, I’d go for a 4Runner.

ETP, Stevewoods and Trollbait like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Daughter just gave up her prius for a Impreza.
    Hates the 30 mpg, but loves the car.

ETP likes this.
  5. wanderso

wanderso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    We own a Gen 2 Prius an a 2011 Outback. We bought the Outback new. My in-laws own a 2016 highlander.

Specific to the Outback, I have been quite happy with it. I use it similar to what you plan to do: camping and exploring. It’s a great car. My criteria when buying it was:

Must have the following:

AWD, towing capacity over 2,000 lbs (ours is 2,600), 30 mpg on the highway minimum, ample leg room in the back seat for full sized adults, roof rack, fog lamps, known reputation for reliability, good on and off road manners, excellent safety features.

The Subaru fit all the criteria at the time. After 8.5 years of ownership, i would buy another one new. No need to because mine is still going strong. The only part replaced thus far is the windshield due to a rock from a gravel truck.

I’ve used it to pull tent and pop up trailers. I use it to also pull a 5x8 utility trailer regularly for yard work, camp out, and other projects. It does the job well.

In the Pacific Northwest, Subarus are very common. Resale value is excellent.

My retired in-laws own the highlander. It’s a nice car. I get better mpg. Their car cost more. They have had to replace the automatic lift gate hydraulic / servos. It was over $2,500. I’d be happy with the highlander as well, but think the Outback is a better value.

My in-laws sold their RAV4 prior to the Outback they have now. They didn’t like the ride and road noise of the RAV4, selling it after only a few years. With what ever you get, be sure to get it up to 70 MPH on the freeway on noisy pavement and get the salesperson to shut up so you can listen. :)

Toyota and Subaru do a lot together as companies. They share a same car model and some shared assembly lines. Toyota owns 16% of Subaru. For reference, our Outback was built in Indiana at a zero waste plant (a big deal for those who pocket mulch in the Pacific Northwest. :) )

You will find that a highlander or Outback are less nimble for the city activities of tight parking lots than the smallest crossovers, but certainly still pretty good. If you want a little smaller, consider a Forester or Crosstrek. Visibility for driving is best in the Forester of any of the crossovers out there.

I have friends with the RAV4 (new model) and the Honda CrV. They are happy with them. I’ve not driven them to have a strong opinion.

2006 Prius Base

#5 wanderso, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    ETP and Stevewoods like this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Daughter had a Highlander, and other than the dealer network and price it was about perfect.
    Great optional safety equipment, decent mileage (she had the six,) 8 seatbelts, probably better reliability than the subie.

However (comma) the subie is probably a better camping vehicle and it actually has a decent tow/haul capability if you plan to get a garden trailer and ditch the pickup.
    AWD is standard (IIRC) and despite the fact that it’s probably due for a makeover, it’s probably got a higher resale value if only because you don’t see them everywhere.

Be sure and look at the bottom line for each.
    Both Toyota and Subaru are well known for sticking it to the consumer with the options!!
    The dealership network for Toyota will be a lot more dense - but we all know that you could list that as an advantage or a disadvantage, given Toyota of America’s shining record for customer support.

2019 Subaru Outback vs 2019 Toyota Highlander - The Car Connection

If I had to do the coin toss with MY money I’d probably go for the Outback....but I can get by with 5 seatbelts.
    A base Highlander would be a somewhat distant second choice and stick with the 6-banger for each unless a THOROUGH test drive yields satisfactory performance results for the 4.
    Make sure thoroughly ground-truth EPA claims for each, and with both drivetrains.
    Sometimes the efficiency penalty with the 6 is not that punitive, but OTOH sometimes you JUST don’t need the extra 2 cylinders.
    YMMV.

If fuel efficiency drives the decision close to the 4-cylinder in either of those 2 models, I’d go with the RAV4 because this might indicate that you’re going to be a little closer to the ETC(SS) end of the retirement spectrum.
    :D
    I do not personally consider the RAV4 vehicle to be capable of Grandbaby and/or Camping ops for anyone who can afford a Highlander or Outback....

#6 ETC(SS), Feb 3, 2019
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any left over 2018 Rav4's left?

Sat in an Outback while my parents were looking for a new car. It is now on my short list for such duties as you describe.
    Any first year can have problems. Yeah, Toyota is probably a safe bet, but the gen2 Rav4 was the example an old CR article used for how badly a first year can drop from the previous gen and manufacturer averages.

#7 Trollbait, Feb 3, 2019
    Stevewoods likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been looking for our second car to replace our AWD Sienna for about a year now. I have similar requirements as yours but more emphasis on the OTD price, better fuel efficiency, larger cargo and good ground clearance in that order of priority. AWD is desirable, but probably not a must for I plan to do very little off-road stuff. I test drove both 2018 Rav4 hybrid and 2018 Outback, also considered 2018 Mitsu Outlander PHV, but could not pull the trigger on any of them for their lowish fuel efficiency. I am now waiting to see 2019 Rav4 hybrid and 2019 Crosstreck PHV and maybe newer Mitsu Outlander PHV. 40mpg in hybrid mode is the minimum I will go for. Highlander hybrid is probably our of our price range. The new RAV4 hybrid seems to meet that requirement, and unlike earlier models of RAV4 hybrid rear seats can now fold completely flat, which is a big plus for me. Let me know if you test drive a new RAV4, and how it feels.

#8 Salamander_King, Feb 3, 2019
    Stevewoods likes this.
  9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a misconception causing you to miss out on opportunity. In the past, especially from other automakers, there was reason to be cautious. But with Toyota's hybrid system, that hasn't been the case.

I have purchased a first year Classic, Iconic, 2010, PHV, and Prime (2 actually, since my wife has a Prime too). Never a concern from any of them.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Besides the Prius we have VW Routan minivan which is equivalent to today's Chrysler Pacifica.
    So I can take grandkids or I put a 10-ft fishng kayak in the back and still close the hatch without fussing with rooftop game.
    I would consider a used Prius v. Of course the Pacifica comes with PHEV option, which I certainly have my eyes on a used one if I thought the price was good.

Stevewoods likes this.
  11. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    GOSH!!!

A lot of great replies. Thanks a lot. You all have given me a plethora of information to consider.(y)(y)

Probably driving 9K per year....maybe more,,,possibly up to 13k.

ETP and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The hv battery will get a decent workout then:).

A hihy could work;).

But I still think the 4runner if any opportunity for off-road travel exist (y).

13. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There was a reason I skipped the 4Runner,but after about four or so hours of research on Saturday, I don't recall. I will have to revisit!

ETP and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The mpg isn’t the best, but anything off the beaten path will beat any of the urban assault vehicles you consider;).

ETP likes this.
  15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've been driving Subarus since 2006, specifically Outbacks. Love them.

But they are no Toyota in terms of defect rate- from everything I've seen, Toyota really is better.

Note that the Outback has led Subaru on a massive surge of sales, but beware that their dealer service network has not expanded at the same rate. Subaru forums have been active with difficulties scheduling appointments or getting big fixes done. Price of success and all.

Essentially everyone hates the Outback infotainment/navigation system, and there's an uptick in plain old failure rates on the latest iteration.

I've also noticed a surge in reports of battery drain problems relating to Subaru's new smart key system. Might sound familiar.

In terms of timing, the 2020 Outback is scheduled to appear (sightings) in April, and in showrooms in July. It'll be an all-new body in its 6th generation. It is anticipated that the optional 3.6L flat six engine will be out, and the new 2.4L turbo flat four will take its place. Base model keeps the relatively new FB series 2.5L flat four.

A Rav4 isn't a bad car at all, but I would put the Outback ahead of it in many contests. The Highlander is considerably larger than either, more seats and much more tow capability.

16. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Love the highlander. A friend got a used hybrid AWD of the current model and it’s great. He gets great mileage for an SUV, it’s much better to drive than the RAV4, and has a good amount of cargo space when the third row is down. Subaru’s are just too pricey for the features you get, in my opinion. They are good cars, but the Highlander has better clearance, and looks better.

17. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agree, electric from the Rav4 or highlander is a joke over stone or in mud, I'd get a jeep, used, and keep a highway car.

18. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Do not retire (sucks big time)

4 Runner would be my choice for an all around vehicle then a Toyota truck. Looked at Subaru's and almost did it but Toyota has hit it 100% for my buying so far.

BTW I forgot to include in my original post that not all RAV 4s are MIJ but highly suspect the new Hybrid will be.

I think 30% are still MIJ and you can tell by the J at the front of the serial number (specific models with certain options).

The Highlander was killing a fly with a 100# sledge hammer.

Towing is the real issue if you plan to do it you will need a vehicle designed for towing from the ground up. Having a towing package added to a vehicle does not get it at all. It needs to be HD/UHD in 4K.
    4 runner is the new war wagon for 3rd world countries and needs to be for us. We overspend on stuff that does not do the job efficiently. CJ zombie resurrection plans are in the works.

#18 ETP, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What is the avatar pic of?

20. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member