1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rav4 -- Highlander or Outback

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, the third gen XC70 is built on a Ford platform(the S80 and Mondeo share about 50% parts), and the transmission an Aisin, but I did gravitate to a Ranger over a Tacoma because the wear and tear parts were cheaper.

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, just to update on my subaru outback purchase. I just went over 1K with it. So far, been very happy with it. Still am trying to get used to the "fancy stuff." The special safety things, such as automatic braking if it senses an obstacle in front or behind. Cross traffic notification if I am backing. Lane departure. Lots more.

Comfortable seats. Comfortable climate system. I wish the tire pressure stuff was in PSI, but I guess I will catch on to KPA eventually. Also wish I could turn-off whatever it is that makes the radio keep playing after you turn off the rig. If I wanted it playing, I would not shut down the car.

A bit underpowered, but not bad at all.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The dash is displaying pressures in KiloPascals?

I was watching a Doug DeMuro review of the Jeep Gladiator (don't ask...), an interesting tidbit:

You can set a target tire pressure in the dash display, either higher or lower, then when you're airing up (or bleeding air out), it'll beep the horn when you reach the set pressure.

Stevewoods and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ah the modern day Scrambler:).

Who’s thinking about upgrading :whistle:?

But those bumpers :love:.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bumpers -- is that a veiled sexual reference? LOL

I remember in elementary school -- when lunch was 30 cents -- that they said we were all going to have to learn metric in " a couple of years."

Some 52 years later.....and who is Pascal, anyway -- some painter? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Up here, a lot of things are still firmly entrenched "imperial" measure, feet and inches, pounds and ounces. Gas is liters, temps are centrigrade, that's fairly widely adopted.

A few decades back they used to do missing person descriptions of height and weight, just in metric. Then they quietly switched back to aforementioned units: I guess you have to use some common sense when there's lives at stake.

I remember too, reading about a guy who'd plunged his car into a sinkhole, gave the dimensions of the hole in centimeters or something, and said when they pulled the guy out his temperature had dropped to something, in centigrade. I had no clue what they were talking about.

Lumber/plywood, all imperial.

Containers in stores, well...: it's strange: there's things like margarine tube that are 472 cc or something like that.

cyberpriusII and Stevewoods like this.
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just turned 100k on our 2015 this weekend. No issues, just maintenance and a second set of tires. Still on the original brake pads and rotors.

All those safety features available back then vs price were a HUGE reason we went with the Subie. In 2019, others have caught up so more choices now. The first weekend of ownership, I took a huge flat screen TV box to a parking lot and both the wife and I tried the auto emergency braking feature first hand. It worked great and made both of us feel much better about it. Note: it can't determine road surface conditions so ABS can and will extend braking distances and possible contact with the object can occur. BTDT with the box (it was a light tap)

cyberpriusII likes this.
  8. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The radio set-up in the Outback baffles me. If you search the web, you will find many people also hate the design. Basically, you can never turn it off. The go-to solution seems to be to set serius on channel zero. Even if your subscription is inactive that seems to work.
    kris

#48 cyberpriusII, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Lots of vehicles leave the radio on after the vehicle is turned off. My cmax and volt were just two of recent cars I've owned that had it. I like being able to finish listening to the end of a song or news story while I'm going through my exit routine and miss this feature on my Clarity. It also gives me a final opportunity to adjust the volume lower for the next entry (especially the morning one when I like it quiet). Different strokes......

If you want to remain in the vehicle, just crack open n close the drivers door to turn off the sound system; not a difficult work-around.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  10. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct in a way -- except I do find it irritating, also.
    But the real problem is that you turn off the radio on Monday evening. You start the car on Tuesday morning, and there it is -- headbanger rock pouring out of the stereo. Personally, early in the morning, I prefer the local news.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The radio defaults to on when the car is started up, even though it was physically turned off on the last trip?
    That is odd, but lots of things are odd on new cars compared to those from even a few years ago. For example, my understanding is that replacing the factory radio with an aftermarket unit meant you lost the interior blinker noise.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    LOL. Yeah. We have another work-around for that. The OutBack is garaged and only tuned to SAT so we get no signal till we back out and even the first few feet of that are under a large tree so we get fair warning.

13. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I am waiting around the house, bored, for an attorney to call me (a neighbor trying her hand at adverse possession)....so, figured.

A NINE-MONTH UPDATE ON MY OUTBACK PURCHASE

It's a four-cylinder 2.5 liter Limited edition. The six-cylinder has more power and oomph!

First my insurance has gone DOWN on this car, from what I was paying on a 16-year-old Camry.

Don't know why and have not asked just in case they made a mistake :) Actually, I had read that insurance was lower on Outbacks because of their high safety rating.

It's a likeable car, but it has spoiled me. Since it is higher off the ground, when I get in the Prius, I do a double-take and check to see if the Prius tires are flat, since it seems as if I am stepping into a hole.

It's comfortable, gets decent mpg for it's size and has enough room for my 6'2" 195 pound frame. Lumbar support, which I figured was another marketing ploy, actually works very well.

Controls are logical and easy to figure out and the climate system is simply amazing. Defog works in an instant, car heats up and cools down quickly. Heated seats, although I thought they were really over-the-top, have gained my reluctant endorsement now that we are hitting the 20-degree F mark.

Headlights baffle me -- the "normal" setting makes it seem as if the Prius and the Camry the Outback replaced have NO headlights. The Outback headlights really light up the road. I thought the Steering Responsive Headlights were just a marketing thing. But they can help you see better around corners because they aim toward the direction you are steering, rather than simply pointing straight ahead. You can see further around the corner, so you can react sooner if something unexpected happens. They are halogen.

Car gets a slight bit better mpg than touted -- but then I drive very conservatively and use Oklahoma Overdrive whenever possible or a variation thereof.

I found a solution to the radio being turned off when I park, only to comeback on at full blast at next start. IF you hold the off button down for a long period -- I do not know, maybe 5-10 seconds -- it will not come on at next restart.

It is a bit pokey on acceleration, but I knew that when I bought it and I have no issue with it. I have no trouble passing on hills and we have some steep ones in Washington. The accelerator is a bit too responsive when coming off a stop, something I have gotten used to, but it is a bit irritating.

Longest road trip I have made is about three hours and it is comfortable at that distance.

I have done some minor off-road driving and it seems as if it was going to give up on some steep side hill transitions, but then got traction and merrily continued on the way.

A minor issue. The Prius was the first car I ever had with a backup camera. And, although I still mostly rely on mirrors and the over-the-shoulder glances, I, of course, do refer to the camera. The Prius camera never seems dirty or fogged or anything. On the Outback, it must be the positioning of the lenses, but more often than not, I find it half-obscured by gunk. A quick wipe with one of my stash of fast-food napkins cures it until the next time.

There is a rattle in the headunit configuration on rough roads. I did some research and found it to be a common complaint. The only solution seems to be to tease a small shim in at the top. Have not bothered to do that yet. I grew up in cars with manual chokes, no seatbelts, manual transmissions and handcrank windows. A minor rattle when riding gravel roads is not a big concern.

Drove it once on a fairly icy morning -- temps around 22F and freezing fog with lots of road ice and had no issues. Oh, I took one curve too fast and it thought about losing grip, but it did not.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I had considered the RAV4, but was afraid of touching it, since it was the first year of a redesign. Seems I may have made the right decision. Just some cursory looks and I find lots of transmission problems reported as well as fuel tank issues, engine noise and lack of room for the driver. As well as piddling seat adjustments with the RAV. Don't know if they are real or not, but people are complaining.

Seems the 2019 Outback may have had the ongoing problems with the Info Center solved.

I also gave up on the Highlander as I figured I did not need that much space. Considered the Subaru Forester, but found out it was becoming the most popular with the over 60 years of age set -- and despite the fact I'm 61, I did not want to join that group. Plus, like the RAV it was the first year of a redesign.

Considered the Honda CR-V, but I have worked on a number of Hondas for friends and found for the most part, the Honda dealers I dealt with for parts were even worse than Toyota and Honda engineers seem to have a strange fascination in making the simplest tasks the most difficult -- they may be in consultation with Audi on that issue.

Nissan - eh -- last Nissan I had in 1998 -- did not live up to their previous quality, as far as I was concerned. The domestic crowd, well, Chrysler, Dodge, GM and Chevy, NOPE. Ford just did not excite me.

And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, folks here were big fans of the Outback.

Well, the attorney called with the good news I expected and much earlier in the day than I expected --10 a.m. And is not charging me. That was UNEXPECTED. He said I did all the work and wrote out a very good brief explaining the situation. Nothing more needed than for me to call the state patrol and have a trespass complaint threatened or issued.

Well, time to take the Outback into the hills: Who cares about the winter storm warning. I'm in an Outback with NO tire chains. I do have my winter tires though.

#53 Stevewoods, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "adverse possession"

Interesting.
    Worthy of another pancake thread......