1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RAV4 HV/Prime "CableGate" Emerging Issue

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by wjtracy, Aug 11, 2022.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a primer on a HV cable corrosion issue on RAV4 HV/Prime models, in case it has not been mentioned here already. Check out the website RAV4World for more info. Hoping Toyota will address but it is costly repair right now.

It's kind of amazing what Toyota has accomplished with the RAV4HV/Prime because you get the spare tire+ 40 MPG + large fuel tank, so great drive range miles, but there have been a few bugs with this (fuel tank filling issues, now this new cable connection issue).

Salamander_King likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have learned about the "Cablegate" on Rav4Prime in another thread. IIRC, there are some class action lawsuits started on this already. What I don't remember is that if Toyota's replacement part with a cracked opening on the "cable cover" part mentioned in the video is the solution, it seems to be a rather simple and easy fix to prevent this to happen again. Are the newer Rav4 Prime models fixed this problem now?

I just put my name on the waiting list to be put on the waiting list to order a Rav4 Prime at our local dealer. It could be anywhere from 4-8 months wait for the delivery if I am lucky, so I was told.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfort it is not an easy fix well over $4000...right now is not covered in the warranties (Hybrid, or extended etc). Definitely seems to be related to winter salt in more northern climates. Right now seems mostly a Canada issue. For those of us with some winter salt but not too much, not sure how long we can last.

As far as status for new RAV4 HV/Prime not sure...maybe 2023 models could be better? but I do not think anyone has that info yet.

Presumably we need to give Toyota a chance to see how they are going to handle it. They did address the fuel tank issue, I have new gaso tank courtesy Toyota that allows us to on occasion approach 550 miles range between fill ups, if we let it go until "Empty".

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From the video at 7:03 and on, the replacement part is just a cable cover with a big side portion of the plastic removed (see photo below). My understanding is that this is to prevent corrosive liquid that does get into the cable harness to be trapped and causing further corrosion. So, yes once the corrosion happens then the fix is very expensive since the entire cable has to be removed and replaced. But for a preventive fix, all they have to do is to replace that plastic casing.

upload_2022-8-12_11-22-9.png
    I think Toyota is just weighing out the cost and benefit of recalling all Rav4Prime sold to date and fixing the problem now to prevent further damage or just wait and see how much such corrosion damage does occur. Even if it ends up in a courtroom, for them if it is cheaper to deal with individual cases than total recall, I am sure they will pick that route.

I was a class member of the 2005 Sienna defective run-flat tire lawsuit. In the end, Toyota nor the Dunlop (Goodyear brand?) tire admitted that the run-flat tires standard on the 2005 AWD Sienna were defective, but agreed to extend the warranty and replaced the tire for free ... but with the same allegedly "defective" tires. I got a free set of tires under that agreement but still had to replace the second set shortly before 50Kmiles. I opted to go with conventional tires that were much cheaper and more durable and probably safer.

wjtracy likes this.