1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured RAV4 Plug-in Coming In 2020 (Page 4 for deets)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the monetary value of OTA updates for the life of the vehicle? For some, they are worth $0. For some, much more. Different for everyone.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Definite value there but OTOH Tesla has a proven track record of "promising" one thing and later doing another so who's to say Tesla won't start charging for updates?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That explains the high stock price.

Bob Wilson

4. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Big updates probably will cost. But little refinements and new features will likely never be monetized. Then again, if someone has that much mistrust in Tesla, they likely aren't going to buy one anyway.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Explain to me the moonroof attraction. Especially when you may have a choice between it and the adaptive headlights.

I'll grant Toronto isn't North Carolina in temperature or perhaps sunlight exposure. I have a sunroof but never open it and wish it wasn't there for safety, HVAC and cost reasons.

6. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

IIRC, the Model Y OTA updates now number 20. Some might be justified at required but surely others are clever marketing ploys to make a fan boy out of every owner. How many times do you come into work and hear about the XYZ car as opposed to the Tesla owner who can't wait to tell you about his new app or feature.

7. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Rarely have I seen a post so right and so wrong at the same time.

fotomoto likes this.
  8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree - I'd choose not to have it, if that were an option.

9. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I had a moonroof on my ‘96 Integra before the Prius was around, and I loved it and used it all the time (in the summer). Sort of a compromise from an impractical convertible. It really lightens up the interior and it is great on the highway as you can open it to get some nice fresh air, without the strong blowing air, and less wind noise. Just my opinion, to each their own.

Not really sure how this relates to adaptive headlights?

drash likes this.
  10. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    On the Rav4 hybrid I bought in 2019 you could get a sunroof and either a moon-roof made in Japan or the adaptive headlights made in Canada. Not both. I opted for safety. And since I never even use the sunroof, the "loss" of the moon-roof option was no real loss.

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Ah, I see. I never realized Adaptive Headlights were an option on these vehicles... at risk of going OT, do you find them very effective?

I have never tried Adaptive headlights, but I understand it helps to illuminate the road better when cornering, and I figure it is most helpful if you drive a lot in non-lit areas, which is less critical for me personally since am mostly in urban/suburban areas, but again will be highly variable based of each situation...

12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently for the XSE RAV4 Prime you get both the moonroof (which is standard) and as an option, adaptive headlights (called Adaptive Front Lighting System - AFS). Maybe you can’t combine the AFS option with the Premium Package on the XSE, which happens to have a panoramic moonroof.

We use the moonroof on my wife’s NX300h a lot during summer. Opening the rear part of it and along with the ventilated seats we can skip the A/C for most of the season. She loves it because opening that up doesn’t mess up her hair like opening a window can. Lifting the rear part of the moonroof also doesn’t produce as much noise as opening a window. Using that is probably one of the reasons she got over 39 mpg on one of her tanks.

Unsupervised!

13. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A simple answer, yes. Go look at the IIHS web site and compare the beam patterns of the lights with and without adaptive. Particularly, on the inside of a curve just off the roadway.

Tideland Prius and Sarge like this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that a pano roof isn’t available in Canada as all Canadian spec RAV4s are from Cambridge and they can’t build the pano roof models.

15. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

The IIHS.org site on its results page shows the patterns made by the adaptive headlights when making turns. Yes I do find it nice.

Sarge likes this.
  16. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  17. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The 1500W power outlet and 6.6kW charging options would be nice, but once you select the XSE trim and premium package with those features, it gets to be a ridiculously expensive car (even with tax credits). $47,185 for a RAV4! That is luxury car pricing.

With a 3.3kW charger on the Prius Prime, it's almost never worth stopping on a drive to charge. The amount of energy I lose going even a small amount out of my way exceeds the amount I can charge before I exhaust my patience for wasting time at the charger. But at 6.6kW I think it would be just fast enough that a quick 10 minute stop would be enough to make the difference between making it to your destination in EV mode instead of on gas.

6.6kW also helps with those annoying charging stations that bill by the minute instead of by kWh. The Prius Prime effectively pays double for the same energy as faster charging cars at those stations.

Of course the RAV4 Prime will also negatively offset the faster charging with a lower EV efficiency.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    3.3 kW will surprise you. My quick 10-minute stops to run into the grocery store for a coffee delivers a little over 0.5 kWh of electricity... more than enough to make it home without gas.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the First-Ever 2021 RAV4 Prime Starting at Under USD$40K MSRP | PriusChat

Read his post again. It's not about the charger located AT his destination. It's about going a little out of the way to charge nearby.

20. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    None of the places I frequent have convenient chargers. A couple places have them 1/4-1/2 mile away, but it's not worth the long walk (carrying my groceries or whatever) for a tiny amount of charge.

There's one free charging station roughly on my way home, but it's off the highway, and driving to it and getting back up to highway speed uses more than 0.5 kWh.

There's a charger at work, and if I didn't get a chance to charge during the day for whatever reason, it's not worth sitting there and waiting to get enough charge to make it home. For example in the winter I need on average 1 kWh extra to make it home. I'm not going to sit there for 20 minutes (at 3.3kW) and wait for that, but 10 minutes (at 6.6kW) might be worth it.

Finally there's the traction battery cooler. If that wants to run (which it does most of the summer after I've been driving), it's a 30 minute cycle and in that time I net around 4% charge (0.25kWh) during the 30 minutes. It's OK to stop it early, but that would result in even less charge. It's also possible to skip it, but that's a bad idea for the health of the battery.

The situations where 0.5 kWh makes the difference between staying in EV mode or not, and where a charger is not too far out of the way, and where I have at least 10 minutes to waste, are very rare.

Tideland Prius likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.