1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RAV4 Prime Battery Thermal Management

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by eric1234, Jan 23, 2022.

1. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

In reading various posts regarding how the RAV4 Prime battery thermal management is performed, I think I've seen some contradictory information, and would like to ask a few clarifying questions of those technical gurus on the site...

I understand that while plugged in and charging, thermal management (heating or cooling) may occur as necessary.

Here are my questions:

1) Will thermal management occur while the vehicle is running?

2) Will thermal management occur while the vehicle is not running, fully charged, and plugged in?

3) Will thermal management occur under any conditions while not plugged in (and not running)?

3a) If yes, what are the conditions (i.e. battery charge level and/or temperature?)

Thanks!

Eric

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, 1 is yes. Batteries heat up with use, so need at least cooling, even if that is just air blowing over it. Some cars will provide heating while running so the battery is running efficiently, as cold slows the reaction inside down. I don't think Toyota's do the heating while the car is running. If the Rav4 is like the Prius, the heater is there to get battery above freezing, as charging at such low temps can damage Li-ion batteries.

2) It could run the heater for a period of time if the battery gets really cold.

alanclarkeau likes this.