1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RAV4 Prime Improvements over Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reviews are starting to come out and I've noticed a few things

• There is a "My Room" Mode where you can sit with the car charging and have the climate control running. However, this is not Tesla Dog Mode. The climate control may shut off at any time.
    • RAV4 Prime actually displays kWh/100km electricity consumption for trip and as a digital readout vs. the crappy 0-10kWh/100km bar graph for Canadian-spec Prius Prime models which gives no additional information (the car is rated at a combined 15.8kWh/100km so the scale is useless in the Prius Prime). That said, there's still a digital bar from 0-10kWh/100km so.... the person doing the graph still doesn't have a grasp of metric units for scale)
    • You can choose whether to have the car shut off after 1 hour or never in Accessory or IG-ON mode

alanclarkeau and jerrymildred like this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it must be a designer in Myanmar, Liberia - or maybe USA who does this??

Weird. According to GOOOGLE, they are the only countries in the world to still use the imperial system of measurements.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would the a/c shut off 'at any time'? only when battery reaches a certain low level, or is that just a legal cya statement?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When it ran out of PETROL should be the only reason!!!!

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or they just followed the L/100km scale which uses 0-10L/100km and just simply changed the units without realising the scale is different. 0-20 is more appropriate for the Prius Prime and 0-30 is more appropriate for the RAV4 Prime.

No idea. We might find out when we read the owner's manual or it might be the "any one of these reasons may cause the climate control to turn off" things.

bisco and alanclarkeau like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had thought that both Myanmar and Liberia were going metric. But looking online, it appears that those moves haven't been finalized, but were subject to fits and starts.

It should be clarified that Myanmar never officially adopted imperial units, or any units at all, before the recent standardization attempts. Commerce was mostly in traditional Burmese units, along with a mix of imperial and metric. Government used an inconsistent mix of imperial and metric.

The old CIA World Fact Book merely stated that they hadn't officially adopted metric, without claiming that they were officially imperial. Wikipedia says, without a source reference: "Both Myanmar and Liberia are substantially metric countries, trading internationally in metric units."

It seems that any designer in Myanmar or Liberia should be well versed in both metric and imperial units, as well as any traditional local units. Therefore, by elimination, that lousy designer must have been an American. ;)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hummm, so is there a 12v battery under the hood? Never shutting off in Acc or IG-ON mode seems to be a disaster waiting to happen, if it still relies on the 12v battery for starting the car.

8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why - I assume it's like PRIUS - the 12v battery is continually topped up by the Hybrid battery/ICE.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But doesn't the regular Prius top up the 12V only when in Ready mode, not in those other modes?

10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I believe so - but I've never had it in any other mode anyway - not even sure why it's there.

11. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Note that they still use miles in the UK. This caught me by surprise when I watched Top Gear.

What gets really confusing is that they sell gasoline in liters (I guess they spell it 'litres') but will rate car efficiency in miles per gallon. And it is even more confusing for an American because their gallon is not the same as our gallon.

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is exactly like Prius Prime, then allowing the owner to keep the car in Accessory or IG-ON mode that never shuts off automatically means drained 12v battery. If this feature is true, the Toyota must have redesigned the 12v battery charging system somehow. But under the ACC or IG-ON, the engine will now come on if like Prius, that means the 12v must be charged from the traction battery. So now, not only the 12v battery can drain, but also the traction battery can drain while parked in ACC mode for a long time.

#12 Salamander_King, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't see any mention of ACC mode - see Post #1. It was referred to as ""My Room" Mode" - which would have to be similar to "ON" mode, not ACC mode.

At a guess - maybe a wild guess - it might allow it to be "ALMOST ON" - to let the A/C, radio, USBs etc run, but not let the car drive - seeing it's plugged in - which could be disastrous.

14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last bullet item. Accessory mode= ACC mode

alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Room mode and the 1 hour timer are two separate things.

My Room mode is when the car is charging.

Not really. I mean non-Prii don't have a timer.

Our Gen 2 had a 1 hour timer but I think the Prime's is shorter, no? 20 minutes?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you put it inn acc or on mode, and select 'don't shut off' it's on you to be careful. i think that's a reasonable user option. the more user selectable options the better, imo.

17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I see now :whistle: - I can see a use in "ON" mode - but ACC could mean battery issues.

18. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12V is no longer under the hood. It’s back where it was in the 1st Gen Plug-in Prius.

iPad ? Pro

Salamander_King likes this.
  19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that means the 12v battery must be an expensive AGM type again.

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When charging with Level 1, there may not be enough energy coming in to charge the battery and run the A/C at the same time. That's why the gen1 Volt didn't have cabin conditioning when using Level 1, and why the Prime manual warns charge time can increase when using the battery cooler function.

For the same reasons cars that use keys do. Like closing windows without having the engine fire fire up.

They do have one. All my recent cars would shut off the radio and lights after a period time. At least when in accessory mode.

Having the ability to turn the timer off could be convenient for some activities associated with the SUV lifestyle.

Tideland Prius likes this.