1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RAV4 Prime Real World Range

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by PiPLosAngeles, Feb 20, 2022.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would call dianne and run the scenario by her. at least she's a straight shooter

2. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The dealers always do that. Even in normal times I'd spend two months shopping before I'd find a dealer that was serious. They always play the "come on down and let's talk about it" game instead of straight shooting. I;m willing to put up with a little bit of that for the possibility of getting a $40,000 car for somewhere around $25,000 out of pocket.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup, that's the name of the game. i've taken to email and 'how much should i bring a check for?'

4. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It's not even remotely possible to secure one before Toyota's tax credit is halved. Toyota's web site and dealer's Web sites will claim there's inventory, but there is none. Literally none. The dealerships that claim they can get one delivered before June are charging about $10,000 markup. The dealers that aren't marking up have a 1-year+ wait list.

Oh well. Worth a try. It irks me on some level that Toyota's cars are the most reliable on the market since they as a company are just as loathsome as the rest.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's the dealers you have an issue with. Car companies straddled with them are limited in what actions they can take to discourage bad behavior. Toyota isn't seeing profit from market adjustments on the price tag.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  6. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Toyota can set whatever requirements it wants. Ford and GM have told their dealers that if they catch them abusing the supply problems to dramatically markup the price of cars they won't receive any more factory allocations. Toyota sits on its hands and pretends they're helpless.

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the perfect timing for selling your PP may be just about over now. Then again, that is a moot point anyway if you have to have a replacement car and can't find it n stock. I may go ahead and sell my 2021 PP now. I really don't need two cars, but the longer I wait, the more it will depreciate very rapidly.
    Average Used Car Price Drops - Kelley Blue Book

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Who'd want to be a dealer in the last year and a half. People driving less need less service and parts. Service technicians out sick or retiring. Fewer cars to sell. Cars they do have have missing advertised components. Soon they have to finance EV training for sales and service and charging stations. I notice my two nearest Toyota dealers both totally shut down their sales floor building for about a year while they were being redone to some new standard.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <hand raised>

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... much higher margins on the new vehicles that are available, much higher used vehicle selling prices, less sales staff needed, almost no advertising expense needed, more customers making repairs on vehicles that they would have replaced in the past, easier ability to raise shop rates ...

11. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The dealers are loving it. They're selling cars at huge margins and have waiting lists for inventory they don't even have. The automakers have huge profit increases. Honda's profit is up 20%. They're loving this. Believe me, they're going to drag this out as long as they can. Then when the inevitable swing of the pendulum comes and sales collapse they'll run to their respective governments begging for the government to force me to finance the consequences of their choices.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/dealership-profits-breaking-records-during-car-shortage/

12. pricoaster

pricoaster Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I traded in my Prius Prime (Premium trim, 2017 model year) back in August to a RAV4 Prime XSE. During the warmer months, I averaged around 2.8-3.0 miles/kWh, which resulted in about 46 miles per charge. During the current cooler months, I'm averaging around 2.6-2.8 miles/kWh. The lowest I've seen my estimated range was around 41 miles.

Keep in mind my daily drive is about 16 miles on weekdays, mostly freeway at maximum speeds (75ish), so I deplete less than half the battery each day. I rarely use the ICE in this car, even on weekends unless I take a longer trip. Since I use the ICE so infrequently, I'll sometimes drive in HV mode.

It's a great car if you can find it! I have more of an EV mindset with this car than the Prius Prime, with the added benefit of much more power, acceleration, comfort, and utility use (it is an SUV!). Plus, as you mentioned, you get $7,500 federal tax credit (as of now), $750 California Clean Fuel Reward (instant rebate off of purchase price with participating dealers, it was $1,500 when I bought), $1,000 rebate from CVRP, plus other possible incentives from your local city or power company.

Feel free to ask my any other questions.

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should travel to East Coast. I just emailed a few dealers around here that are showing Rav4Prime in their inventory. All had them in stock or confirmed it is in transit. A few of them were already spoken for, but in general, if I drive down to any of those dealers today, I can drive off with a brand new Rav4Prime at MSPR. The problem for me is that none of them are offering trade-in value on my 2021 PP Ltd as high as DriveWay was offering just a few weeks ago, and not even close to what one Nissan dealer offered me for a Leaf S purchase.

And in the end, I would be paying ~$6.5K additional money into the car that will cost about twice as much operational cost as my current PP. If the Rav4Prime is larger and it can be the only car we keep, then it may make sense. But as a replacement for my PP used as a daily driver... it is not going to be very economical. And having basically the same hybrid system, I have a feeling the car is still going to be running an engine most of the winter using more gas than my current PP. That's not going to be very ecological...

14. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm fortunate not to have the winter situation that most people have. In the most terrible of winters here there might be some frost on the windows in the morning. Temps in the 30s overnight make the news here.

My concern is that California does not permit the registration of cars purchased out of state with less than 7,500 miles on them unless they are specifically California emissions compliant. I don't know if the RAV4 destined for other states has California emissions equipment.

I know that the car is less efficient because of it's size and shape. My motivation is that I am often wanting to drive on unmaintained dirt roads and cannot do it in the PP, where even the smallest rut or rock ends the excursion.

Salamander_King likes this.
  15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. CA seems to have very complicated consumer laws. Out-of-state purchase of a car can get tricky.

Yeah, with my PP, I often wish I have AWD, more cargo space, and ground clearance. But that's when I drive PathfinderHybrid instead. But it cost much more to operate a larger SUV. We drive less than 8K miles/year on it. I am on track to drive ~9Kmiles/year on my current PP which is down from the pre-pandemic average of ~15Kmiles/yr but slightly higher than on my 2020 PP. If I get rid of my PP, then our PathHy will have to take ~17Kmiles/year of total drives. That's a lot of gas on a car that gets only 24mpg. Plus, the car is now 8 years old, it has started showing typical age-related problems. The operational cost is only going to increase.

#35 Salamander_King, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  16. pricoaster

pricoaster Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fyi, there are plenty of California buyers that have purchased out of state, so there's no issue there (some ship it home, others fly out and drive it home). You can also search the RAV4 Prime Reddit for the Excel allocation sheet which shows all RAV4 Primes destined to dealers in the US. Many people are jumping on this and reserving their Prime before it even ships with said dealers. There's also a Facebook RAV4 Prime group where people are sharing stories, tips, and some dealers even post unreserved Primes.

Definitely resources out there to help you make it happen if you're serious and put in the time!

17. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you. I've been watching the spreadsheet. The closest dealer with a RAV4 Prime SE on the lot is in Mississippi. I may call them, but that's a long haul. I couldn't buy a car sight unseen, so I'd have to go out there. I don't know if I want a RAV4 that badly. There are some California dealers with an upcoming allotment. I'll hit them up. If not, no huge deal.

18. pricoaster

pricoaster Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What you could do is try and test drive around here, then purchase somewhere else. Longo is the only dealer I know in SoCal not charging an MSRP, but I heard the waitlist is at least 6 months (but that may be for the XSE?). You definitely have a better chance with the SE being MSRP, XSE has more bells and whistles so it's more likely to be marked up. I originally was looking at the SE, but after test driving it and realizing that model doesn't come with the SofTex, which I liked in my Prius Prime, I went for the XSE. I will say the RAV4 drives much smoother and is quieter inside the cabin than my 2017 Prius Prime.

Sounds like you've done your homework, so best of luck! And any questions, feel free to ask.

19. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    But have you calculated the taxes and insurance difference of those options? How does that change the economics?

20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are included in the calculation. That's why the 2022 Rav4Prime SE with MSRP $43K will cost almost twice as much operational cost as my current 2021 PP Ltd with MSRP $35K. If only the fuel (gas and electricity) cost differences are compared, then it is only ~42% increase (38mpg vs 54mpg, 94mpge vs 133mpge). About a 50% hike in excise tax and insurance costs will make the annual operational cost double of the PP.

#40 Salamander_King, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2022