1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RAV4 Prime Real World Range

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by PiPLosAngeles, Feb 20, 2022.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't heard of any dealer that will let anyone test drive a car that is already sold to someone else. With all West Coast Primes being pre-sold before they reach the dealership ...
    Is this insufficient? Selling dealers typically have the Monroney label information posted.

upload_2022-2-23_12-6-43.png
    Build Your Own Toyota | Toyota Configurator

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Selling at MSRP (or more) helps but only if you are selling enough cars to make up the difference. Service is only possible if you can get the parts in a timely manner. And have service frequencies changed as people drive less? Do you lay off service techs in proportion to the service income loss or

What happens when you reduce the 2 cars to just the Rav4 prime? Is that practical from a family perspective?

With a plug-in hybrid, the number and length of the trips you take impacts a lot. All my trips to and from the grocery, the doctors, the dump, even the golf course would be gas free which would up my effective gas MPG well above any EPA. When I visit the grandkids 50 miles away that wouldn't be the case but then they do have a charger so less than 30% of those trips would be on gas. The planned trip to upstate NY would be all gas.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Selling at MSRP (or more) helps but only if you are selling enough cars to make up the difference. Service is only possible if you can get the parts in a timely manner. And have service frequencies changed as people drive less? Do you lay off service techs in proportion to the service income loss or

What happens when you reduce the 2 cars to just the Rav4 prime? Is that practical from a family perspective?

With a plug-in hybrid, the number and length of the trips you take impacts a lot. All my trips to and from the grocery, the doctors, the dump, even the golf course would be gas free which would up my effective gas MPG well above any EPA. When I visit the grandkids 50 miles away that wouldn't be the case but then they do have a charger so less than 30% of those trips would be on gas. The planned trip to upstate NY would be all gas.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, Rav4Prime would not be large enough for our needs to replace both cars. If there is HighlanderPrime or SiennaPrime, we could turn in both of our cars and reduce to one. That is if I continue to work from home. If things change back to pre-pandemic normal and I have to drive to work every day, then we would definitely need two cars again.

For us, almost any outing is over 25 miles our PP allows. The closest store is 15 miles away. A visit to the closest dealer is 60 miles one way. With Rav4Primes EV range of 42 miles, it is likely we can reduce the amount of gas we use but that does not eliminate the use of gas. And during winter, Rav4Prime would likely to behave very similar to PP, that is to fire the engine even with plenty of EV range left in the traction battery. Moreover, historically, the electric rate is higher than the gas price in our area. If the gas price goes below $3/gal in the future again, driving on Rav4Prime on HV mode at 38mpg would be cheaper than driving Rav4Prime on EV mode.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As his article pointed out, prices and profits are way up. They are getting enough cars to make up the difference.

According to another source, a year ago, only 2% of buyers were paying above MSRP, average selling price was $2150 below sticker. Today, 80% are paying above MSRP, average selling price is $728 over sticker. They are getting enough, especially when combined with reduced selling expenses: advertising, floorage loans, sales staff, etc. The sales critter I talked to last year, and tried to contact last week, is gone.
    Repairs volumes are up as customers keep vehicles they would have otherwise gotten rid of, it they could find or afford a replacement.

6. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds like a "win win" for the dealerships.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have the mini spare in that RAV4Prime? If so this is special car no excuses Plug-In.
    I am same as @mikefocke with RAV4HV now...just had to use the mini spare this week.
    In Virginia effective RAV4P cost would be high no state rebates and high% annual car tax.

Wow sounds like the fun is almost over if Toyota hitting the phase out. At least we had 12 years vs. the 12 days of the 2006 Hybrid rebate (slight exaggeration).

#47 wjtracy, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's in the spec. Comes with temp spare.

upload_2022-3-3_20-52-21.png

wjtracy likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about Maryland? Lots of folks came to MD from CA for the PiP because it was way cheaper here, and also MD is full CARB like Ca. but I don't know if that matters anymore...lost my mojo there

You should have til June 30 if lucky til Sept 30 right?

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on December's numbers, July-September this year seems highly unlikely for full plug-in rebate.

wjtracy likes this.
  11. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota just announced operating profits up 36% YOY on May 11. And today shut down 14 plants in China for a week due to Covid.

Sales critters almost always have a short life.

12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Wander over to the rav4forum.com and look at the wait times for Canadian hybrid allocations. Some models 12-15 months. Primes measured in years.

One thread up to 52 pages of frustrations.

14. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's terrible.