1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Rav4 Prime vs Tesla?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by docboy, Jun 7, 2020.

1. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hill -

how do you like your van?- A very nice looking ride.

How many miles do you get in EV mode.

We really liked that van and strongly considered it when we shopped for a PHEV - unfortunately we couldn't afford the vehicle its price was out of reach for us. We settled for a cheaper suv plug in but I always wondered how we would have liked the van.

How has its reliability been for you guys?

2. correctclick

correctclick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    do you mind letting us know what’s the plug-in SUV you settled for?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    not to derail the thread, but it's got around 12,000 miles now, and is averaging 68 MPG - combining its 30mpg gas & our rooftop solar recharging of the battery powered 84MPGe. The EV range is 33 miles.
    Got a service bulletin and just took it in for an appointment. Apparently grounding/isolation possibility - so they want to check it out. Other than that, it's the only time we put it in the shop. Dropping the rear seats into the floor, I just threw the bicycle in the back & peddled home rather than wait around for a rental car. The voluminous cargo space sure comes in handy for stuff like that.
    [​IMG]
    The V6 does great on fuel - yet it can still get up and go - but I'm sure that has a lot to do with Gas & Electric running at the same time - when you need it. It's self parking works great, it's adaptive cruise control works great, & it's Lane keep assist too. Although it's a puny thing, I do love the forced air cooled leather seats.
    If there was anything not to like about it, it's that stupid weather program. You could be watching your map for directions, and this stupid weather screen will come up and say "wind advisory" even if it's some 150 miles away. Who cares ! And the dealership seems to be incapable of shutting the thing off. If it just flashed, that wouldn't be so bad, but you have to reach over and clear it. Then it comes back.
    Maybe we need to move where there's never any Breeze within 500 miles.

Yeah, it was pricey, but by the time you get the fed & state tax rebate cash, it was virtually the same price as the standard Gasser which only gets a measly 19mpg / 22mpg highway combined.
    Grandkids love the video babysitters built into the back sides of the 2 front seats.
    [​IMG]
    Each video sreen plays independent of the other & both have wireless headsets. Once the grandkids are quiet, you can appreciate how quiet the ride is too.

#83 hill, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    John321 likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Having owned a 2017 Prius Prime and 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3:
    Feature Prius Prime (16 k mi) Std Rng Plus Model 3 (26 k mi)
    1 Manufacture Annual updates and take to shop for all repairs. Faster than quarterly updates with features added over the air.
    2 Repairs Visit a dealer service center: oil changes; engine air filters; PVC valve; all engine maintenance. A mobile van visits the car at your home. Fewer moving parts mean fewer things to break and no engine to maintain.
    3 Range The 600 mile range exceeds human biology duration in a seat: 2-3 hours. The 25 mile EV range is urban only. Typical charging range is 2-3 hours giving 120-180 miles but overnight reaches the maximum for +3 hours of driving.
    4 Fuel time The gas refueling requires visiting a gas station and paying ~$4/100 miles. It also coincides with a biology break: 10-15 minutes added to gas pumping time. Charged at home: ~$2/100 miles; ~1/3 free charging when shopping and; ~$3.00-$3.50/100 miles with cheaper rate from staying at motel with free breakfast and charging.
    5 Charge time No fast DC charging: 0 kW DC. The 240 VAC (J1772) 16 A maximum charge rate requires +2 hrs for 25 miles of full charge. Fast DC charging: 170 kW peak. The 240 VAC (J1772) 32 A at 240 VAC gives full charge in 7 hours.
    6 Fuel locations Must drive to gas station owned and operated independent of Toyota. No urban gasoline refueling. Driveway charging parked at home; shopping centers and; public chargers. Fast DC charging network is owned and operated by Tesla who also made the car.
    7 Fit and finish None noticed. None noticed.
    8 Door latch Nothing exceptional with a recess. Flush with body it is also an IQ test for some.
    9 Jim Lentz vs Elon Musk Lentz management turned down my 2005 letter asking for the Estima hybrid minivan come to the USA. He has no demonstrated sense of humor or engineering skills and remains isolated from owners. Southeast Toyota would not sell me a Prius Prime so I flew to Rhode Island ~1200 miles to pick mine up. Elon Musk management corrected a reproducible 'phantom braking' problem with a fix to their GPS navigation. Elon has a rye sense of humor often with an engineering twist and he visit owners. I drove to Nashville ~120 miles to pickup mine. His hobbies include landing reusable rocket boosters; tunnel digging machines; artificial intelligence and direct brain interfaces; RNA microfactories.
    10 Unsolicited 'thumbs up' Just another Prius. Tuesday a thumbs up from another drive in a parking lot. Typically 2-3 times a week kids and teenagers say "Hey it is a Tesla." Only our backup BMW i3-REx is nearly as often noticed in traffic.
    11 Longest single day drive 1200 miles in 24 hours with 1 hr cat nap in car. ~52 mph. 750 miles in 14 hours. ~53 mph.
    12 Advocates Series of sentences with no bullets or other formatting with speculative projections about cars without hand prints. A table listing specifications and hands on experience with both cars: Prius Prime 2.25 years and 16 k mi; Std Rng Plus Model 3 1.5 years and 26 k mi

Bob Wilson

#84 bwilson4web, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    correctclick likes this.
  5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2019 NIRO PHEV EX Model

I too don't want to derail thread and prefer not to comment on my purchase anymore here.

This thread would answer questions about our purchase
    New 2019 Niro Plug In | PriusChat

hill, correctclick and bwilson4web like this.
  6. correctclick

correctclick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Did anyone manage to buy a Rav4 Prime?

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is just 56 listed on Cars.com.