1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RAV4 Roof Rails on Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by DrElectron, Dec 6, 2012.

1. DrElectron

DrElectron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm thinking about installing the OEM roof rails that come on the RAV4 on my Prius v. I do not like the aftermarket roof rack systems that clamp on. Has anyone else done anything like this? I understand that I will have to drill holes in the roof and that it may impact aerodynamics and gas mileage.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rails by themselves don't affect aerodynamics very much, it's the crossbars that add a lot of drag. So leave the crossbars off the v when you aren't hauling anything, and I don't think you'll take much of a hit in fuel economy.

Have you taken measurements of the RAV4 rails? Looking at pics, the RAV4 rails look much too long to fit on the Prius v. It looks like the rails would extend onto the hatch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not only that, but the v's roofline slopes down at much sharper angles than the RAV4's, so the angles that the base of the rail would make contact with the roof wouldn't be correct, especially in the front?

3. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think you would be better off looking at getting some custom roof tracks or landing pads installed. They'll form better to the roof contour and you can take the "feet" off when not in use for even less drag.