1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ray Iannuzzelli cost per mile PHP vs Volt

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by carpedal, Apr 18, 2012.

1. carpedal

carpedal Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ray Iannuzzelli cost per mile PIP vs Volt

Mr Iannuzzelli over at GM-Volt has written an honest comparison between a plug in Prius and a Volt. The results are eye opening. For example, below 10 miles range the Prius is more efficient. Read for yourself. Volt superiority is in a narrow range of miles. For some commuters, the Volt is a wise choice. For others, not so much.

Cost per Mile Comparison: 2012 Volt vs. 2013 Prius Plug-in

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Interesting... If you use the vehicle for longer ranges, the cost savings literally disappear at certain ranges, presuming that you do not use a charging station and fall back on the gas engine part over time.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Ray Iannuzzelli cost per mile PIP vs Volt

Fairly good comparison, the numbers are a little screwed up, but crossovers seem about right.. I would say that narrow range is where most americans drive. IIRC the volt gets charged at an average of 27 miles. In the higher mileage area where the prius phv is more efficient, drivesr might be better off just buying a prius and choosing the options they want, electric miles are a small percentage here.

Different choices are good. some phv drivers like john1702 seem to charge twice a day and use very little gas.

4. kbr0125

kbr0125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If only you could get a PIP with the same battery as the volt.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

In theory, owners would always buy the car optimized for them.

It will be interesting if PIP owners have very short or very long commutes, where the car is superior.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is very interesting. I have long thought that Volt was a clear winner, because the range where it has advantage -- 16-65 miles -- is exactly where most everyone drives in a day. And this is why we read of Volt owners getting 1,000 to 5,000 and even 11,000 miles on a single tank of gas. That simply won't happen with most Plug-in Prius owners.

But my commute is 85 miles roundtrip, and my forward-thinking employer won't provide electricity at work. So my Plug-in Prius is the most efficient choice after all.

7. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That assumes you pay the average price for electricity. If your electricity is cheaper than average, the range of advantage of the Volt gets larger, and vice versa. Around $0.19 / kWh, the advantage of the Volt is gone altogether.

Of course, that also depends on price of Gasoline. A more useful chart would show when each car was a better deal based on ratio of gas / electric prices, and miles traveled.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Remember to exclude CA, where people unable to charge a PiP will buy them for the HOV lane access.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder what would change if they had the same size body/ cu. ft. capacity?

10. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Right, let's try to ignore the irony that California is encouraging people to buy a car which gains its environmental improvements by being charged with electricity, while at the same time pricing electricity so high, that it is encouraging them to use it like a regular car (not charged), thus wasting the entire potential of the car...

11. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I think that he`s been copying my posts herein and elsewhere. I`ve been postulating this for the better part of two years now.

12. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great analysis!
    However, the reliability of those two cars should be very different I guess. Look at the historical records. I would be much more comfortable on Toyota side...