1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rayovac CR1632 Key Fob Battery from China

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jdcollins5, Mar 22, 2015.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I changed my key fob battery in January due to a Key Battery Low message. I purchased the new Rayovac CR1632 battery at Walmart Watch Department. The new battery had China printed in the middle. The battery voltage was surprisingly low for a new battery at 3.1V where a fully charged battery should be around 3.3V. The old battery read 2.9V.

The past couple of weeks I have had some random issues with the SKS door sensors not working. I have had to use the Remote to lock the doors. After using the remote then the SKS sensor would begin to work. Having just changed the key fob battery I was beginning to wonder if I was having SKS or door lock issues.

This morning when leaving for work, yea weekend duty, I get a Yellow triangle and Key Not Detected message. I take the key fob out of my pocket and hold it close to the Power button and receive a Press Brake message while my foot was on the brake. I pressed the remote button on the key fob and did not see the red LED blink. After a couple of presses the doors locked and unlocked. I opened the door and closed it tightly. The next try the car started. When I got to work and turned off the car I got a Key Battery Low message !

After work I went to Walmart and picked up 2 more Rayovac batteries. The new battery also had China printed in the middle. The back of the package says Made in: USA, Japan, China or Germany.

This new battery read 3.32V. The old battery read 3.02V. After installing the new battery the red LED is blinking and everything seems OK.

So I guess this is a warning for anyone using a new Rayovac CR1632 battery with China in the middle. I remember others commenting that their new batteries either had China on it or Chinese writing.

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Batteries are nothing but commodes anymore.

While Ray-O-Vac and some manufacturers make some models on their own, another model might be a repackaged one.

It is unlikely that the latter batteries are from the same batch. The earlier batch might have been marginal. It might or might not be true for the current batch.

Likewise, car manufacturers used to make their own parts. Now, they are commodities onto which the vendor to the manufacturer just slaps on a label and a part number.

Sometimes, you get an OE quality part for a third of the OE going price. Sometimes, you don't.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought it was interesting that the package says Rayovac without the dashes, not the old Ray-O-Vac that you mention?

Mike500 likes this.
  4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The "Rayovac" brand is a name only. It is owned by the Spectrum Brands holding company. Spectrum uses overseas factories to make batteries that slap on the Rayovac label.

They are not specifically battery manufacturers like Duracell and Energizer.

When Union Carbide owned Eveready, the predecessor of Energizer, the successor company renamed the company Energizer, which sold the Eveready trade mark to another holding company. I've seen Eveready batteries made in China and sold in Dollar Tree Stores

jdcollins5 likes this.
  5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Does that mean that they aren't worth a crap ?? :)

I always ask to have "new" button batteries tested before buying them.
    If the seller doesn't have a meter, I go someplace else.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where do you find batteries where they have a meter to test? Radio Shack used to but they are closed now. I guess Batteries Plus could test.

The places that I find them are Walmart, CVS, etc.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you go to any of the magazines like Popular Mechanics, Motor Trend, or Handyman, there is often a coupon for a free digital multi-meter. Just set it for 20 volts, and measure the voltage.

I also ordered this battery box with included tester.

BATTERY TESTER STORAGE BOX

The tester works and is very easy to use. I have fewer loose batteries lying around now.

The 9 volts are dangerous in a "junk drawer," especially if it contacts aluminum foil or steel wool. That can start a fire and burn your house down. Survivorrman Les Stroud has demonstrated on his show to start campfires. I place a piece of electrical tape or masking tape over the terminals for safety.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a voltmeter

Easy Rider 2 was saying he did not buy a battery unless they tested it first. I was asking him where he purchased batteries where "they" had a meter to test with.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get the duracell, they're made in the gillette razor factory.

10. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A battery store. In my medium sized town, we have two.
    And I have a cheap meter in both my cars.

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK. We have a Battery Plus store that I will have to try if I do not have any better success with this second Rayovac battery.

12. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rayovac is crap. I almost lost several devices to their leaky nature. I went though all my stuff and dumped all my Rayovacs. If they leak too much, they will get locked in and ruin the device. I had a flashlight I have to beat the holy hell out of it to get the swollen leaky battery out.