1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RC Charger for HV Battery module charging

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jsnake49, Nov 30, 2011.

1. yankkesrule

yankkesrule Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These are gen1 cells

2. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off this possibly an old thread but I want thank the OP and others for laying ground work of BDP best demo practices to rebuild/reconfig/oem HV pack. There may other threads too that I missed. I just want to review some things I have found by reading the thread posts

The cells are counted 1 thru 28 cell......# 1cell (by battery hv connect side/aka driver side) and #28 cell (by blower connection aka passenger side) #2cell thru 27 middle of vehicle......

Nimh cell voltage range 7.2vdc (most commonly found/stated) and anything above 7.8-7.9 vdc not desireable and pack voltage most commonly stated is 201. vdc

Cells /modules can be individual charged/discharged with RC type balance/chargers

High amperage / unmonitor /charges can destroy module and/or pack

Nimh cells can self discharge up to 20%
    Nickel–metal hydride battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hv pack soc ranges 20%-60%-80% trim SOV by BCU

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What you've written is a good description of the battery in the NHW20 (2004-2009 "Generation 2" Prius), but to avoid confusion since you've posted in the Generation 1 forum, in our NHW11 the number of modules is 38 rather than 28, and the blower is on the driver's side. These 28 or 38 things are modules, not individual cells; each module comprises six cells.

-Chap

4. yankkesrule

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So just to update. I replaced the next weakest module (I had ordered a few and had an extra). As you can see from a previous post that the majority of my modules were very weak. about 2000-2500mAh. After reading many different threads, I believe in a post at some point in time by bwilson4web 2 different options were proposed. pairing best and most closely matched modules or pairing the best with the worst. I chose the latter option because I felt that the pair of weakest modules would be too different in capacity/performance than the best pair. So I matched the best module with the worst and put the strongest pairs that had the least difference in the middle and the pairs with the worst modules towards the ends. It's been a little under a couple months and about 6-700 miles. So far no codes/warning lights and I'm averaging 42mpg.
    I know this won't last forever. At some point I hope to rebuild with gen2 modules.

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. yankkesrule

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before final assembly I installed all modules in the same direction and daisy chained all cells together in parallel and left them that way for a few hours. Then re-assembled in series.