1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RDS feature for basic stereo?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Musikflier, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Musikflier

Musikflier New Member

Do both stereos (basic and premium) feature RDS capability? or just premium?

Thanks!

2. xevious

xevious New Member

Both stereos feature RDS, not that you would know it around here, where there is only one RDS station.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This should save some time for those like me who were not familiar with the term RDS.

What is RDS ?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Radio Data System.

Some stations send out text messages (not to be confused with SMS), and if your radio has RDS, it will pick up that signal and the MSG button will light up on the Audio screen. Basically, this allows you to see the radio station's name as well as frequency, the title of the song that's currently playing and other things that they broadcast.

5. Musikflier

Musikflier New Member

RDS = Radio Data System

Some stations offer it, some do not. If not, your stereo would display, for example, 102.7

If the station does offer RDS, your stereo would display 102.7 KIIS FM. You can then see the name of the song and the artist that is currently being played.

6. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Unless I'm missing something, the Prius radio does not show RadioText. It supports station name, AF (continuously tuning to the strongest frequency of the selected station as you drive), and TA (changing station for traffic announcements), but none of the other RDS goodies such as RadioText and time signal. RadioText is something I really miss in the Prius...

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One station now does the "button update" method of displaying song titles, which is good and bad. Good when I don't know the song, bad when I try to see what the title is and it updates slowly. At that point, being able to hit the MSG button, read the darn title, and be done with it would be more efficient and less dangerous.

Until I get back to Charlotte, my 99.7 button reads "Skynrd"...

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The radio in the US Prius does have the Radio Text (RT) function. Ours doesn't - it has PS/AF/REG/TA/TP/PTY/EON only.

On the other hand, at least RDS support by broadcasters is universal in the UK - I understand it's rather sporadic in the US.

9. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What about Displaying the name and title of MP3 CD's burned at home?

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you checked the box labelled "CD-TEXT" in your burning program, then yes it will show.

and yes, even here in Canada, only a handful stations will have RDS. Some offer just the station's slogan, others with the song title and artist and some with just the station name and nothing more.