1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Re: 2018 Prius 1 or 2, on the highway, how is overall comfort and noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by KAKRA, Dec 11, 2018.

1. KAKRA

KAKRA New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the replies. I have another question, related to safety.
    I read that the 2018 rear window visibility isn't good. I'll get a chance to sit in a Prius next week and I'm expecting it to be "OK" but I'd like first hand experience on how visibility is when it's raining. I think the 2016 and 2017 are also the same rear window design? I think the Prius One is a good value but it has no rear wiper and I'd like to know if the combination of so-so visibility and rain is a problem.
    I may write off the Two Eco because I heard they're hard to find which will limit choice, and the "different" tires give away traction for mpg which in this case I'd go with traction/safety. Also, my son may have this car many years and those tires may be discontinued or go for some silly price. I may go with the optional 10 spoke chromed Toyota wheels or an aftermarket wheel and want to have choices on tires.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I came from a FORD Fiesta - and PRIUS Gen 4 is appreciably better visibility overall, particularly front pillars where the Fiesta could lose an Ice-Cream Van. It's better than the old Gen 3 PRIUS too. REAR - it's better than my Fiesta - because it's got a camera and better placed mirrors. The split screen is good in that tail-gaters's headlights often align to the split and they don't glare as much as some cars.

But - from what I've heard, some people said they experienced problems - but it depends very much on how tall/short the driver is - I know that in almost any modern car, short people who have the seat forward sometimes don't get the same visibility as a taller driver with the seat further back.

Tande likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius has never had good visibility, but it is mostly the pillars and head rests, especially with pedestrians, they can actually disappear for a millisecond behind an obstruction.

the rear isn't as important unless you're backing up. the bottom of the window is high, so you need to train yourself to use the rear cam as well. and the pillars are also an issue back there.

prius is no fun in a crowded parking lot

4. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Rear visibility isn't too big a problem. My pretty peeve with that is the rear headrest on the passenger side can conceal an suv behind it.

bisco likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 4 is much better forward than Gen 3 - the pillars are located differently and seem smaller.

I drive by myself 99% of the time - and I usually have the back seats folded down, or at least the head-restraints at their lowest unless I have the occasional back passenger - which I think has happened about 10 times in 2½ yrs.

bisco likes this.
  6. KAKRA

KAKRA New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I want to thank everyone who took the time to answer my questions. I'm going to visit my family for Christmas and will be away from a computer for awhile. Any more replies will be appreciated. Have a great Christmas and Happy Holidays!

padroo and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same to you and yours! see you next year.

8. KAKRA

KAKRA New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Just thought I'd let you all know the big decision. My son decided on the 2019 Honda Civic Sport. We first test drove a 2018 Prius Two. He liked it and had no issues with the styling or the ride. Keep in mind he had a tired '94 Ranger and anything we drove was better. At that dealer, he saw a red Toyota "86" and fell in love. We talked him out of it but the look of that car stayed with him. We then tested the Honda and he was even more impressed. He liked that the Honda (Rallye Red) was a nice compromise between the Prius and the 86, not a sports car but still some flash. He loved the Honda's steering.
    My wife insisted we also test the 2018 Mazda 3 I Touring because I bought my older son a new one 4 years ago and he loves it. My son drove it and liked it too. Because it had a moonroof and full leather, it took him awhile to decide between the Honda and Mazda. He decided based on a shared thought...The Mazda was very nice but unchanged since 2014. Compared to the Honda, the Mazda seemed dated and almost plain. It didn't help the Mazda much that the Honda was the same red as that 86. He decided on the Honda. He's happy and that makes me happy.
    Just to share, we got the Honda for $23,500 OTD which included a $200 option that had already been installed. The dealer, Galpin Honda (California, Mission Hills), honored the TRUECAR price. They actually did better than the "fair price". I carried in a 2 week old printout with a fair price of $21,471. When the salesman verified the price on the website, in front of us, it had gone up $280 unexpectedly. They ended up honoring the lower price, rounded the numbers and gave us the OTD price. I learned a lot about "haggling" this time around. ALWAYS tell the dealer you have another appointment waiting, even if you don't.
    The Mazda was offered at $22,350 OTD and really was a fair deal. I may go back there if I decide on a CX-5.
    The 2018 Prius Two with the added red color ($395 extra) was offered at $25,988 OTD. Seemed too high to me. I can only assume we could've lowered that some but we never got to the haggling stage because my son had to go to work.

Long read, I know, but I wanted to thank everyone here for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge. The Prius is definitely a good car and helps the environment by using less gas, but in a young man's eye's (very responsible/not a boy racer) the Honda's Extra power, great handling and that loud RED!!! won over. Thanks again and I hope we all have a great, healthy and prosperous New Year!

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a good choice, thanks for getting back to us.

i had no idea honda haggled. this is news to me, and an interesting development.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they all haggle at this time of the year - want to clear 2018 plated stock. I've been getting flash adverts from lots of manufacturers (noticed Jaguar, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Honda and Toyota at least this morning). All with "deals".

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, they do have sell off deals, but i had heard that honda doesn't discount beyond advertised deal price.

perhaps i misunderstood.

12. KAKRA

KAKRA New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Regarding the haggling...this isn't clearing "2018 plated stock" as one member suggested (we bought a 2019), and I've never heard of Honda or anyone not willing to negotiate, but I'm hardly a seasoned car buyer. I've only previously bought 3 new cars in my 62 years. One for me, a 1995 Blazer that I still own, one for my wife, a 2007 Chrysler 300 and my older son's 2014 Mazda 3. Looking back, I got taken advantage of when buying my Blazer, getting only $350 knocked of MSRP. That was my first new car and I had little leverage because the Blazer was all new that year and selling for MSRP at first. My wife hates haggling and so I meekly asked for an additional $1,000 off her car, though it did have a $2,500 rebate at the time. That salesman came right back from his manager in about 3 minutes and said "sold", no real haggling. It was a small dealership and the salesman said it was the only car they sold that day. We did get a good deal on my older son's Mazda, but with help from TRUECAR.
    You guys sound like you have a reason to believe Honda won't haggle. I was determined this time to get a fair deal. My opinion is that it's a good time to buy a new car just as it is to buy a new house because most people are spending their money on other things this time of year. I also relied a lot on TRUECAR pricing. Last, I made sure that ANY dealer I spoke with knew he had competition, be it real or made up. The combination worked for me.
    Some dealers don't work with TRUECAR, period. The dealer I bought from, Galpin, does honor TRUECAR and I knew from my experience in 2014 that the TRUECAR price is based on actual prices people recently paid in my area. The dealers know that too. I brought the TRUECAR printout with me. The Toyota dealer wouldn't honor the TRUECAR price and as I said earlier, quoted us a high price. The first Honda dealer we visited also wouldn't honor TRUECAR. That dealer quoted us $24,800 OTD after some haggling. We left, saying we'd come back the next day, which we did intend to do.
    Figuring you MUST go to at least one other Honda dealer, we went to Galpin. Galpin does honor TRUECAR. We test drove and then got a quote based on the latest TRUECAR fair price, about $21,721. According to TRUECAR, that "fair" price is dead center of the lowest and highest actual price paid. That range is almost always below the MSRP. I told that dealer in all honesty that I didn't expect to get the car for the lowest price on the TRUECAR range, but I wasn't going to pay the highest either. It had to be no more than the average price paid and lower than that if they didn't want me to visit the other dealer. I made it clear that we'd have to think about it and needed to keep our appointment with the other dealer. THAT got the manager coming over in a hurry. He was a solid 300 pounder but moved like a gazelle when he thought we were leaving. A few minutes later, they knocked off a few more hundred $ and we met at $23,500 OTD including a $500 savings for College Graduate. We also got an already installed $200 option (door edge guards) for "free".
    TRUECAR factored heavily in this deal, but just as important was my making it clear we intended to meet another dealer who "guaranteed" us they would beat Galpin's offer. Had that other dealer not tried a shady way of making us pay $700 for a Lowjack alarm, we may never had ended up with our deal.
    Just as a side note, the Prius dealer was selling remaining 2018's only and had no 2019's yet. I know the 2018 Prius sales (and 2016/2017)are suffering because many people don't like the styling and they've seen the more preferred 2019's arriving. I read reports that poor '16/'17/'18 sales, by Prius standards, is the reason Prius was given more exterior changes than it normally would after only 3 years of the latest style. Knowing all this, I was surprised they quoted me such a high price, though that's from a dealer I now realize isn't a dealer I'll ever visit again.
    One other side note for hybrid buyers, I briefly read about and looked at the "new" 2019 Honda Insight. I liked it. The mpg's are very close to the Prius. Up front, it looks like you get more car for your money. According to popular testers, Honda isn't focusing on pushing the Insight as a hybrid/high mpg car as much as they're pushing the Insight as a comfortable, well equipped car that just happens to give good mpg. Somewhere between an Accord and the Civic. I was impressed but this car wasn't for me. Honestly, I probably would hesitate to buy ANY car that's as all new as the Insight. Honda's hybrid stopped production in 2014 due to poor sales. Now, after 5 years, it's back. I'm sure Honda has done all it can to make sure the car will take sales from the Prius but I don't think I'd buy it yet. That's just me. The only negative thing I read in reports was that the engine was noisy. Other than that, it really did look like more car than the Prius.

#72 KAKRA, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  13. KAKRA

KAKRA New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh, one other thing that could effect haggling, or not. Galpin, who sells several brands, has been the world's #1 or #2 dealer many times in the last 2 decades (as per their advertising). The salesman said they were always busy and when we walked in on a weeknight, it looked to me that nearly every desk had a customer, about 15-20 desks. Being an obvious "volume" dealer, haggling should be the norm regardless of what brand you're negotiating.
    I keep saying I'm retiring the old Blazer but it keeps on humming along. But when I do I'll probably head straight to Galpin. I'll bring the TRUECAR printout and use the same strategy we did this time. For the first time I'll walk into a dealer feeling confident instead of fearing pressure and a stressful overall experience that results in a price you later regret.

14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry - I was referring to "Build Date" - which is stamped on the car at the moment it's built.

Here in Australia, that's the only one which matters. I forgot that in USA you refer to "Model Year" - which is unrelated to when it was actually made.

Incidentally - here, Honda dealers will haggle, just like the rest.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at toyota dealers haggling is par for the course. you can read about it in the pricing threads. you will see people getting upwards of 3 and 4,000. off depending on the location and situation.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  16. shrek

shrek New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My son is 6 foot 5 with 16 years old. he fits just fine

krmcg likes this.
  17. shrek

shrek New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius is a really good car.
    But it is not a fast one.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. priusman09

priusman09 I used to be a TDI

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’d say that the Prius is a super reliable car (see Consumer Reports) and the fuel mileage is outstanding besides. It easily exceeds the EPA ratings for me. I especially love the things like adaptive cruise control that paces itself behind the car in front of you to maintain a safe distance. Also the safety automatic braking, lane keep assist and other safety features make it a super smart choice. Then there is the versatility of the hatch back that allows you to take just about anything you could stuff in an SUV. Lastly it’s a zippy performer and handles quite well! It also rides well for its size and isn’t so jittery on the road. With that being said- if he wants a sports car he’d be disappointed with a civic or a Prius or any other small car that’s on the market. To be fair I did have a late model civic that I had for a couple days that I thought looked great but the seats were immediately a issue for me and I don’t have a fussy back- but they were very uncomfortable to me. The civic also was more noisy to me and less practical with the trunk. Don’t get me wrong- I think the civic or the Prius are smart choices and a win either way. But for me- two thumbs up for the Prius

krmcg, padroo and Tande like this.