1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Re: 8 Tips to Extend Battery Life

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by benlevi, Oct 11, 2011.

1. benlevi

benlevi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I came across this article www dot plugincars dot com/eight-tips-extend-battery-life-your-electric-car-107938.html on how to extend battery life in general, and the first tip was to only charge lithium-ion batteries to 80%. The article mentioned the Leaf as having a setting to do that; I was wondering if the new Prius plug-in will have the same feature? I imagine (hope) so.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's currently how all Prius' are. Maximum charge is 80%, minimum charge under normal circumstances (i.e. not out of fuel) is 40%. With lithium batteries it is even more important to do so, and it would be silly for them not too. It is why when you calculate the Wh/mile and the Kwh capacity of the pack for the Prius, PHV Prius, Volt, and Leaf, the capacity is always about double what the maximum usable range is.

1 person likes this.
  3. benlevi

benlevi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right... just like my PV batteries I use for my house. Those are old lead-acid, but the same theory applies. Thanks for the reply.