1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RE gen II disk brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ruggb, Aug 5, 2016.

1. ruggb

ruggb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 168,000 miles on the original 2007 pads & rotors.
    The rotors are about at their wear limit and the pads have 4mm left. I figure another 50,000 miles but maybe less because my wife's driving pattern has changed since she retired. The driver side has 3.6mm on the outside and 4mm on the inside. The passenger side has 4mm on both. Why would one outside pad be wearing more?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just a wag, but maybe because there is typically only one person in the car.

3. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Guide pins on the caliper or piston might be dragging a little. When you refurb have the guide pins cleaned and greased. Check the piston and seals for wear and replace as needed.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    0.4 mm is a pretty trivial difference.

5. ruggb

ruggb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, that's the size of my 3D printer nozzle and it is if it got that way over 168000 miles - just that the other side is 4mm on both.
    I cleaned them up but I didn't disassy the caliper - that could be it but it seems like it would wear both - maybe not - have to think about that one. When my Odyssey hung up the rotor was not happy. the caliper seemed ok, but I had to replace it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.