1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Re-hydrating the battery modules.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Britprius, May 6, 2015.

1. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a bar clamp and a couple of small boards, along with a rubber mallet.

2. kuldara

kuldara New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I finally used the same techinque. At first I was afraid of damaging the modules. I will finalize the installation today and hope to see results.

3. kuldara

kuldara New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I started of with P0A7F hybrid battery pack deterioraton trouble code and then rehydrated and charged all the modules. Now I have reassembled the battery pack more times I can count, but it is still not working properly.

Atfter first reassembling I was struggling with some leaks, but they are fixed now.

All the modules have gotten much better individually and have correct electrolyte level, but code P0A80 replace hybrid battery pack keeps coming up. I have reconditioned and done some additional charging to weaker modules(according to the live data).

None of the modules have reversed. All can be charged up to 9 volts with no problems.

My questions are:
    1) What can be still done to get the pack working?
    2) Can the problem be somewhere else with the same code?
    3) How are the modules counted? If live data shows that the weakest module pair is 5th, then were I start counting? Right now I have counted from both sides and then reconditioned both.
    4) What is the optimal voltage for module pairs while driving/charging?

4. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    X2

The discharge portion of testing is key to finding weak modules.......many overlook this critical step.

5. kuldara

kuldara New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By reconditioning I mean I have rehydrated and cycled all modules individiually and some repeated the cycles on the weaker modules.

I have discharge tested all the modules. Before last assembly I used resitor, voltmeter and charger to charge/discharge all the modules to the same voltage to have the whole pack as even as possible.

If I am logging the results, the weaker modules keep changing and there is none that stand out from the rest.

If there is no trouble code, the car is behaving normally and I would say better than others that I have owned. By that I mean that I can drive longer on pure electric mode.

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Steve,

In hot climates (like AZ) you should expect that many modules suffer early degradation. In milder climes (like here in CT), It is common that only one or two modules need replacing (due to cell reversal) when HV battery alarms go off. The rest seem to recover to reasonable capacity when rebalanced.

JeffD

7. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    JeffD,

My point exactly. Even in mild climates, modules still need to be replaced. I do not believe he replaced ANY modules. My "experience" includes data from others in milder climates.

Thanks,

Steve

8. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to put a decent load (200w+) on each of the modules for 2-3 minutes and check the before and after voltage to find the voltage drop for each. Any outliers need to be replaced because those are the modules with weak cells that are causing your hybrid battery ECM to set off the CEL. All you did was re-hydrate the cells and then balance the voltages but this does not help you find which modules are the weak ones.

9. kuldara

kuldara New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am using about 90-100w resistor to check do help the discharge, since my charger goes only up to 1A discharge. Of course this I used only up to 5,4V. From there I discharged at 0.3A to 3V. Later I charged the modules with 3A.

I got capacity increase on all the modules from 2000-3000mah to 8000-9000mah. If the module did not get significally better on the first cycle I did 2-3 more cycles and then it got better. Later I have individually done some cycles on weaker cells(based on logging while driving).

For rehydrating I used 20% KOH micture and added about 60ml to each module.

Basically I did everything as described in the first post in this thread.

Chargers I am using:

If I have gotten very nice capacity increase on all the modules then should I still change some of them? Or is there a metod how to properly balance the whole battery pack without special charger?

10. kuldara

kuldara New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Imax chargers I have are actually original. Amazon link was just the best example I found quickly.

After taking the pack part again and reassembling it and still without a result I have grown tired of this and will replace the bad modules. Where do you reccommend to buy them? Is it possible to get new modules?

11. kuldara

kuldara New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok. I am very sceptical of buying used modules from ebay. Not that the ones from Ali Baba would be more trustworthy...

I logged the accelerations and regeneration with diagnostics to identyfy which module pairs are weaker according to this and the when the pack was off the car I took these pairs appart and applied load to them and measured the voltage drop.

12. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Both a load test at reasonably high current and watching the self discharge rate (after a few days) are useful in identifying weak modules. If you can find a salvaged, low mileage, Gen3 battery from a recent wreck, the modules should be useful. I would test and re-balance all 28 modules and use them in my old HV battery shell. Then I would fully re-balance and test all my old modules for resale and be a reliable source on eBay as I did a few years ago when my battery failed (only one bad module) at 195k miles.

JeffD

gdanner likes this.
  13. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    X2

Still seems like balancing and then load testing are the issue in finding which ones are bad in the pack.

14. kuldara

kuldara New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your answers!

I found 8 bad modules. It is Lexus GS 450h battery pack so total number of cells is 40pcs. Since modules are the same as Prius, the methods are same.

I will try to find some good replacements for my bad modules.

15. damienb

damienb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great thread. My opinion as a chemical engineer working somewhat in electrochemistry:-
    Distilled water or better RO water should be used rather than KOH. The original electrolyte is still in there, only water has been lost due to electrolysis. If you use pure water, you can dissolve precipitates that may have formed.

Silicon is not a good sealant for this as it is often acid cure. It is generally resistant once cured but may not cure effectively. I would use polyeurethane instead. The best option is probably polyethylene weld (case material is PE?), or possibly one of the PE compatible glue sticks.

Note that fine threads are generally also shorter (in height) than coarse threads which means they are particularly susceptible to over tightening. A better option may be very small stainless or PE sealed rivets but future holes would need to be in a different place.

#255 damienb, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  16. damienb

damienb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can solvent weld PP/PPE. Mostly with very dangerous chemicals (chlorinated aromatics, think paint stripper). I have links but cannot post them here due to restrictions.

I prefer heat except PVC, Epoxies, PS, or Acrylic. It is very difficult to get good PP/PE (or even acrylic) products as a consumer due to safety and competence issues. Note nylon is very easy to heat join but quite difficult to solvent join.

17. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In your expert opinion. Would hot air welding using scrape module cases for filler be a viable method for sealing holes?

Thanks, Brad

18. damienb

damienb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Brad, I would trim down a 3mm PPE welding rod so that it fit in the hole, and heat weld it so that it formed a mushroom cap.

roflwaffle and toymo like this.
  19. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    hi guys sorry to bump an old (great) thread, considering trying rehydration and cycling over the next couple weeks on a complete pack in a high mileage 08 gen2 with severely decreased capacity, wondered if there has been any further progression with a few things before I get started..
    1) fine thread machine screws vs filling the holes with PPE rods
    2) the ongoing debate about straight demineralised water vs KOH h2o mix
    3) boiled water vs cold
    4) last but not least, do we still think a drain hole is needed or is the fill hole perhaps all that's required now testing has established that 60ml is generally the desired amount.

.. cheers
    .. .. Matt

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have found machine screws very reliable "not a single failure". I have also found tapping the holes first is not necessary, just make sure the screws go in strait.
    As for what to top up with the choice is yours. I seem to get better results using a mixture.
    Boiling water can do no harm, but if you look at the amount of cold metal plates to be heated in 6 cells by 60ml of water "the equivalent of 6 packs of playing cards made of metal" I see little advantage.
    The drain hole is required. If you do not put in a drain hole you will get an air lock stopping you from filling all 6 cells evenly.

John

#260 Britprius, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    m.wynn, MTL_hihy and ozmatt like this.