1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Re-program used fob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kkayser, Feb 15, 2017.

1. kkayser

kkayser Junior Member

I purchased a used fob on eBay. the dealer I took it to said they cannot re-program it until all of the old programming is removed. To do that they need access to the car it was originally programmed for (which is impossible.) Is there a way to get this fob programmed for my 2004 Prius?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dealer needs to reseed, which is erasing your cars fob memory and adding the used fob to it

This probably wouldn't be cheap. Best to start with buying a new fob and doing the chicken dance programming for free

wrprice likes this.
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Check with a Pop-A-Lock locksmith for their price. They can certainly do the job, but I don't know how it compares to simply starting with a never-programmed fob.

You can program the transponder (key in dash) function by yourself without a reseed. The proximity function with a used fob requires locksmith equipment.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bizarro. I wouldn't trust whoever told you this to check your tire pressure.