1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Re-torque Prius drive shaft nut

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rmartel, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Rmartel

Rmartel New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Doing the 30,000 mile service on my friend's 2021 AWD Prius. The drive shaft nut must be re-torqued to I believe 129 #Ft. Since all previous Priuses were 2WD,I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here. Is the nut located behind the wheel, right at the end of the axle? The other end of the shaft has 4 bolts, near the differential. If that is the correct location does anybody know what size socket it requires? Looks a little strange when I last checked it. Does it require a special socket.

2. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    The rear wheel side half shaft goes into the wheel hub via the splines and is tightened on with a single hub nut to 159 ft-lb and then staked in so I don’t think that needs to be touched. On the Toyota manual I just checked, those 4 nuts at the transmission side are 41ft-lb on those nuts on the motor/transmission side of the half shafts. In my experience on those, they are on tight, and really do not seem to loosen anyway, but worth a check in the early days. Mine are already 4 yrs old so they are rusted on pretty good there already so I don’t bother with them any more. Probably M10 with 13mm hex head is my recollection.

#2 a2058, Apr 20, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  3. Tianen Chen

Tianen Chen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have no idea what you are talking about based on pure text. Can you show some photos on the drive shaft nuts?

4. Tianen Chen

Tianen Chen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have no idea what you are talking about based on pure text. Can you show some photos on the drive shaft nuts?